• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002/003 Fuel Filter Upgrade

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall seeing a thread (and I think a SS member used to make a kit) to remove the OEM canisters and get an upgraded filtration system in place. Anyone help me recollect what I read? Thanks

Scoobyshep

I seem to recall reading something like this, I can't imagine it being too difficult. Just make sure the filter is fine enough and has enough flow

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BobbyT

Here's what i did.

WIX 33405/ NAPA 3405 - 14 Micron Fuel/Water Separator Filter
WIX 33352/NAPA 3352 - 6 Micron Filter
NAPA GOLD 4770 - Remote Mount Spin-On Filter Bases

I also found a 2 micron filter after i ordered the others that i will get for spare.
WIX 33528/NAPA 3528 - 2 Micron Filter

Attachments

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what i did.

WIX 33405/ NAPA 3405 - 14 Micron Fuel/Water Separator Filter
WIX 33352/NAPA 3352 - 6 Micron Filter
NAPA GOLD 4770 - Remote Mount Spin-On Filter Bases

I also found a 2 micron filter after i ordered the others that i will get for spare.
WIX 33528/NAPA 3528 - 2 Micron Filter
Did you need any fittings to mate the stock fuel lines to this, or was it drilled to accept the same size? Did the remote base come with mounting bolts?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I was putting a new battery cable between the two batteries on an 002A and got my sign that it was time to do this mod... fired it up and after 30 seconds the water seperator starting blowing fuel out of the petcock. It knew....

Fleet Filters got a great price on the remote base tonight ($24.59 instead of $47.49, as of my typing this).

Chris454

I made my own also. I watched a video someone did on YouTube . I use the Napa filters and I used the fittings and hoses from the original set up.

BobbyT

Did you need any fittings to mate the stock fuel lines to this, or was it drilled to accept the same size? Did the remote base come with mounting bolts?
I don’t recall right now if I needed anything special or adapters, I’ll go look at it in the morning. I think i reused the fittings from the stock filters and just used some reducers for the 90’s to fit the bases. But I’ll get you a definite answer tomorrow.

Guyfang

Staff member
In all the time I have worked on these things, I never felt that the twin fuel filter made sense. ONE good filter, with a water separator, should be good enough. The main problem with fuel filtering is not that the filter don't work. Nor that sometimes contaminated fuel gets in the system. Its that no one looks, (or can see) at the filters. A good filter/water separator with a glass bowl is my choice for the job. Its just the military wont let me change to something that was made in the last 50 years.

BobbyT

I agree with you Guy that its good to have a filter that has a clear bowl so you can keep an eye on it. I have added some like the attached pic to my smaller tractors that surprisingly don't come with good filters. But working with large heavy equipment i have learned that it seems you can't ever have clean enough fuel, so that "overkill" mindset has stuck with me. :)

Here are the pictures of the dual filter setup on my 002a. I used the 90's that were on the original filters and used brass reducers to adapt to the filter bases. i had a new hose made from the pumps to the first separator filter, the rest are original.
(I added egg crate foam to the filter door for noise dampening so it left the black spots on the filters.)

Attachments

Scoobyshep

What we used to do at work was have a 5 micron primary and a 1 micron secondary filter.

Guyfang

Staff member
What we used to do at work was have a 5 micron primary and a 1 micron secondary filter.

That's a viable alternative. Change the primary more often then the secondary. But a water separator with a glass bowl is for me a must. I want to SEE what the fuel looks like.

Scoobyshep

That's a viable alternative. Change the primary more often then the secondary. But a water separator with a glass bowl is for me a must. I want to SEE what the fuel looks like.
Oh definitely, ever since i lost my xray vision the glass bowls have been amazing.

milstencil

I replaced the original filters with Racor 120A filter housings with R12S 2 micron filters.
Housings used the original fittings from the old filters.
The original filters and pumps were all loaded with rust when the cap was left off the fuel tank and
some genius ran it and plugged everything up (injectors included).
Surplus dealer on the auction site is selling complete units for $50.00 each.

Attachments

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any update on reducers needed? Looks like its 1/2" NPT on the NAPA base part called out above. I think the lines from the pumps to the filters are 5/16 JIC if anyone cares to confirm before I break out the books.

BobbyT

Any update on reducers needed? Looks like its 1/2" NPT on the NAPA base part called out above. I think the lines from the pumps to the filters are 5/16 JIC if anyone cares to confirm before I break out the books.
LITD, yes the bases are 1/2" NPT and i think the 90's were 1/4" NPT??? i'll go see if i have one laying around in the garage somewhere that i can confirm.... I'm pretty sure i got the reducers from Lowes, so its a common size.... (i think)

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could that would be great. I have spare elbows here, but can't seem to find my thread gauge tool.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks