• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002/3 replacement battery charging regulator on the cheep

kwfiggatt

Hello everyone,
I thought I’d share with everyone how I replaced the battery charging regulator on my MEP-002a for cheep. Long story short, the charging systems on these generator sets are permanent magnet alternators, which are the same as used on motorcycles and scooters, except for the 24V output.

The regulator does two functions – first it rectifies the raw AC coming from the stator coils into DC, then it shunts (or shorts) the stator coils together (or to ground) when the battery voltage gets above the desired setpoint. The reason for shunting is that these alternators have constant output due to the permanent magnets and it cannot be controlled by varying the magnetic field strength, as is done with a normal automotive alternator.

So, order yourself a 12V “5 wire scooter voltage regulator”. I got mine on ebay for $4.49 including shipping from China. I have no idea how they make them that cheap… Below is a link to the one that I bought.

link removed...

The 5 wire version has a separate wire for the voltage sensing circuit so that it can be hooked to a keyed switch and not constantly draw a few milliamps and drain the battery over time. This is the black wire on the regulator. The pink and yellow wires are the two wires coming in from the stator coil (raw AC). The red wire is the DC output wire, which goes through the 15 amp fuse for the charging system. The green wire is a ground wire and is tied to the chassis of the generator. I got the wiring info for this regulator from here --> http://mastercircuits.blogspot.com/2012/07/full-wave-regulator-schematic.html The author does a dissection of the 5 wire regulator. If you follow the link and check the part number for the rectifier bridge that he shows in the pics, you will note that it is a 25 amp, 400V device. The SCR’s in the circuit that short the windings have to be similar in amperage and voltage, so the voltage and current of our generator charging system shouldn’t be an issue (max output is 15 amps).

To make a 12v scooter regulator work on our 24v system, you need a voltage divider circuit. This is simply two resistors wired end to end (in series), with 24v battery power at one end of the resistor string and ground at the other end. I used a 0~1000 ohm potentiometer (variable resistor) connected to a fixed 850 ohm resistor. You hook the black wire of the regulator up to the middle point in between the two resistors. I used ½ watt components in my setup, as this is what I had laying around. I calculated the power dissipated by both resistors as 0.488 watts, so ½ watt should be OK. Nothing got warm when I tested it…

The potentiometer allows you to fine tune your final output voltage. I have mine set to 27.6 volts because I use AGM batteries. If you use standard flooded batteries, adjust yours to 28.8V with the engine running and the batteries fully charged.

I mounted the scooter regulator in the same location as the original voltage regulator, as there is good airflow and the terminal strip is there to hook everything up. The scooter regulator is about half the size as the original regulator. I ran the black wire to the other side of the plate and mounted my voltage divider circuit outside of the doghouse so that I can adjust it. I took keyed power from the shutoff solenoid at the injector pump. While I was at it, I installed a snubber diode across the terminals of the shutoff solenoid. This gets rid of the inductive voltage spike that you get when you disconnect power to a solenoid coil, so the electronics should live a happier life.

I tested everything out yesterday and it seems to do fine. I monitored battery voltage as the genny ran for about an hour, and the charging system charged up after using power for startup (battery dropped to 22-23V and leveled out to setpoint, 27.6V. Before I replaced the regulator, the battery voltage was up to ~31V as the regulator wasn’t working.

Hope this helps some other folks out.

Kevin :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:

1800 Diesel

Hey Kevin--great post. At the risk of sounding ignorant, can you clarify which wiring diagram you used on the link? Also what specific connections did you use on the generator? Which existing generator components are still used with this alternate system? Maybe a simple one-line schematic showing how you hooked it up on your set would help too. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Live auction links on ebay are against the site rules.

You can link to a seller, but not to a specific item.

Or just describe the part so others can find it on their own.

Last edited:

kwfiggatt

Sorry about the link issue - thanks for removing it. I will get some pics this weekend and put up a schematic to make my dissertation a little clearer..

kwfiggatt

OK, I took the doghouse off so I could get some pics.
wire feedthru.jpegsolenoid.jpgboard.jpegregulator.jpg

This setup uses the standard output filter capacitor, the same as the original. The red wire is the output, which goes through the standard 15 Amp fuse, then back to the terminal strip and finally out on the original wiring harness at the 2nd from right bottom terminal. One end of the filter cap is also connected to this terminal - the other end of the cap goes to ground.

The green wire on the regulator is the ground wire. There is also a green (ground) wire coming from the voltage divider circuit, which I have mounted on the other side of the mounting plate so I can adjust the output voltage with the pot. The black wire is the switched power wire, coming from the top of the Injection pump solenoid (with snubber diode installed), going through the voltage divider resistors, and finally into the regulator. The yellow and pink wires on the regulator connect to the two wires coming in from the stator. It doesn't matter which wire from the stator is connected to which color, yellow or pink, as they are rectified in the V/R and their polarity is constantly changing.

Hope this helps. If you have any ??'s let me know.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks