• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 Battery cables reversed at starter

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We just recovered a Mep 002 from Jefferson City Mo last weekend and had some time to go through it today. The oil was fresh as can be, the diesel tank looked brand new (along with the fuel......nothing on the bottom of the tank)........though the batteries were shot (would not take a charge). We swapped the batteries out with a pair of 51r's....double checked everything.....and gave it a crank. Nothing. The fuel pump works, pre heater works, but no starter. So we checked the cables, terminals.....red to positive, black to negative....all looks good. We replaced the batteries in exactly the same way the generator came from GL.

The technical manual (troubleshooting) had us go through the starter switch (S1) checking for continuity.......no problems, all good. Through, when I looked at the wiring diagram for the starter......it showed ground on the side of the starter and positive at the solenoid......THE OPPOSITE WAY IT IS CURRENTLY WIRED. So we swaped the cables out (even though red is now negative and black is positive)....problem solved. A few cranks.......runs like a top.

My question is.......did they park this generator (in excellent condition) because someone mistakenly reversed the polarity at the starter? It was obvious once you had the diagram, but without....it would of been real difficult to determine the problem (for it looked correct).

1800 Diesel

That sounds like a good explanation...or like many other in the MEP 2/3/4/5/6 models, they're simply being phased out for newer, quieter models. Also, in the DOD world there's always the "use it or loose it" concept for annual budget considerations. Buy new gensets even though the ones you have work fine....But your idea is probably a good explanation--at least to accelerate that one's path to DRMO....

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It made no sense why the polarity was reversed (I swapped out the starter/solenoid before figuring this out.....for it couldn't be that simple). It made me realize the old adage is true with surplus equipment : " Assumption is the mother of all F ups"

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you take a good look at the starter cables to make sure the right ones go to the right spot. I know with mine i think they both go to the starter... or in that area. By taking a quick look it might be confusing what cable is which if they both go to the starter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks