• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002 engine problems

jbk

this gen. had set up about 8 months. had been working fine when last used. had moisture in the fuel tank, filter cans(cleaned new filters). injection pump had stuck plunger. was able to free the plunger moving in and out and rotating in bore now. getting short bursts of fuel to the injectors (removed line from inj. pump). runs like it hitting on one cyl. with lots of white (diesel) smoke with a little black mixed in. had one start where it started right up came to speed everything working, runing good only to last about 6 seconds then rpm reduced white smoke just like before. have changed the injectors same thing. have adjusted valves, removed rockers to look for damage none, springs look good the valves look like their moving freely and full travel. dont have a way to check compresion. have a couple of injection pumps i can use if i need to. because it ran fine that one time if only a few seconds makes me want to discount damaged piston or rings. its obvious its getting fuel (lots of white smoke) so can the injection pump be discounted?

Last edited:

1800 Diesel

this gen. had set up about 8 months. had been working fine when last used. had moisture in the fuel tank, filter cans(cleaned new filters). injection pump had stuck plunger. was able to free the plunger moving in and out and rotating in bore now. getting short bursts of fuel to the injectors (removed line from inj. pump). runs like it hitting on one cyl. with lots of white (diesel) smoke with a little black mixed in. had one start where it started right up came to speed everything working, runing good only to last about 6 seconds then rpm reduced white smoke just like before. have changed the injectors same thing. have adjusted valves, removed rockers to look for damage none, springs look good the valves look like their moving freely and full travel. dont have a way to check compresion. have a couple of injection pumps i can use if i need to. because it ran fine that one time if only a few seconds makes me want to discount damaged piston or rings. its obvious its getting fuel (lots of white smoke) so can the injection pump be discounted?
jbk,

You stated that you "cleaned new filters"...can you elaborate on what that means? Did you clean the filter cans & then install new filters? Or did you clean the cans & reinstalled existing filters? Filters that contain water will often block fuel from flowing through them.

Are you getting good flow from the priming pumps? Remove fuel connection at IP supply side and run priming pump for awhile to verify free flow & good volume. (run fuel into a gallon can or something)

Did you thoroughly clean the tank of all residual trash, rinse out with clean diesel? Did you try disconnecting the line at the priming pump & blow back through the line to the tank--(with the cap removed of course)? High pressure not needed--just about 20-30 PSI just to verified the line is cleared.

Last thing that comes to mind--verify all hoses between the tank & the priming pumps are sound and all fittings are tight. If the system draws air in this area the air will quickly wreak havoc on the IP's operation and quickly shut the engine down or make it run poorly...

Hope some of this helps...just rambling out my thoughts...good luck with it!

Last edited:

jbk

yes. but i had to try it. just wish i was cofident its the injection pump. thought maybe someone else had same problem before. hate trowing parts at it. suppose i could try to come up with a compresion gauge. i have one just have to figure how to adapt to the glow plug hole.

storeman

Jim,
NJToolnut makes a fine adapter for the glow plug hole. Check his handle out and drop him a PM, if he is not monitoring this thread.
Jerry

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks