• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 Fuel Pump

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I tried to fire up my 002 today, but it only ran until the filters emptied out. I've checked to voltage to the pumps in the run/prime position and E2/E3 have 24 volts there, E2 will cylce in one direction and stays there, and gets hot, as in, it acts like a solenoid, E3 does nothing at all. The Aux pump turns on/runs in the aux position. I looked in the schematics but could not find my answer. What is the box attached to the power wire on the pump in this picture? is it a thermal relay, or is it a control module for the pump?

Attachments

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That my friend is an EMI filter. Covered numerous times on the forum as the reason for the pumps to be causing the DC breaker to trip. It does not affect the operation of the pumps in any way shape or form. If your pumps are not cycling, they are bad.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Also, why 2 fuel pumps? redundancy? if should be able to move the aux pump to feed the filters/engine since it's the only one that works.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
That my friend is an EMI filter. Covered numerous times on the forum as the reason for the pumps to be causing the DC breaker to trip. It does not affect the operation of the pumps in any way shape or form. If your pumps are not cycling, they are bad.
Great, that sucks.

What search terms would have yielded the answer for me, I tried MEP 002 fuel pump, but got a ton of threads as a result.

My breaker isn't tripping, so it looks like I need 2 pumps. . . .

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's hard to say about the search terms, most people bring that little box into the conversation when they have a DC circuit problem. It shorts to ground and causes the breaker to trip. It's not needed for the pumps to operate though.

There are two pumps for redundancy, just as you stated. The military might have been using the generator for sensitive operations, and they would hate to have it shut down because of a little fuel pump.

Yes, you can move the Aux pump into place of the other 2 while you acquire new pumps. Just remove the solenoid from it and plumb it like the others were plumbed.

edgephoto

480517E is the current replacement part number. Prices vary all over the lot. Search of the auction site and Google will reveal many sources. I too had a bad pump on my unit. I found a used one on here. Maybe post a want ad.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Plumbed in the aux pump and she fired right up, fleabay was no luck, and looks like $189.00 from some yacht parts company. . . .

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pumps are Facet brand pumps. NAPA carries that brand. Look at the Facet website to determine which model you would want and see if NAPA can get a better price. Of, as mentioned above, post an ad on here and see what happens.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I googled the part number and came up with facet, and all the companies who distribute them, my local NAPA is closed today

leedawg

This might be obvious but both the pumps in my mep 005 were dead as well when I got it. Looks as though you have taken the pump out already. I hooked mine up to power and rapped on them real well alll around with baltine hammer and they booth started pumping away. Have been working ever since give it a shot... Might surprise you..

RayK

I think I got two pumps from Storeman about a year ago for $50 each. I've also got some going by cleaning the screens and with a few hard taps.

JimH

Carter makes an equivalent pump as well. I can't find my notes for a part number. You have to add some elbows, but it is supposed to be the same pump. I priced one two years ago, and they were about $70 new.
Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks