• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Injectors

Chiron

Hi everyone. A long time ago I had bought a MEP-002 from one of the Columbus, OH sales. To make a long story short I had to have the injector pump rebuilt and I had to replace the "throttle" cable. I think I have it adjusted right. When I try to start it, it turns over, the oil pressure comes up, you hear the whump whump whump of compression, but no ignition. I get fuel through the system and hear it come back to the tank, but you see no black smoke or indication that fuel is getting into the cylinder and being compressed.

So I was able to pull the injectors since it didn't seem that they were opening. I haven't been able to get the injectors out of the finned adapters yet, but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was someplace within an hour or so of Wright-Patterson AFB that services injectors or even whole gensets economically (cheap)? They are just Onan DJE injectors right?

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone is doing well with all the weird winter weather!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HA! Where in Dayton? I am near Trotwood and downtown all the time!

Check with our member Storeman, he has been known to rebuild the injectors for these units.

Have you loosened the injector lines to the injectors to see if fuel squirts out?

Chiron

Hi! I'm over in Belmont near 35 & Smithville and work near UD. :) I'll have to message him. I don't think they were opening and injecting. After the last time I tried starting it was when I removed them and the finned adapters. The bottom portion of the injectors were bone dry. When it warms up again or I can get a torpedo heater out in the garage will be the next time I can work on it.

Isaac-1

They are not exactly DJE injectors, the DJE uses a different injection pump with the same injectors tuned to a higher pop off pressure (I think about 300 psi higher), however they are the same as the DJB injector which has the same injection pump and same pop off pressure as the MEP-002a. The down side is these are getting scarce and if Onan has them in the parts inventory anymore they are insanely expensive, you can often find them new on ebay going for over $200 each and the price keeps getting higher.

jamawieb

To get the injectors out of the finned adapters. You will need to place the adapter in a vise and heat the adapter with a torch, after a few minutes take a wrench and move the injector left/right, it should finally come out. Gimpyrobb is correct, get with storeman and have him look over the injectors. He does a great job, I always send the injectors to him for calibration or rebuild when I buy a unit.

cuad4u

Ditto on using storeman for rebuilding and calibrating injectors. He does a great job for me and is very reasonable. The fins on the injectors are aluminum and the injector is steel.The fins are "attached" to the injector by a very close fit that often gets corrosion between the two dissimilar metals that makes removal of the aluminum fins difficult. As an alternative to heating the aluminum fins with a torch, which can easily damage the unit if not heated properly, I use an industrial heat gun that blows hot air. A hair dryer won't do. Since aluminum expands at a different rate than steel, heat from a heat gun and a squirt of PB Blaster in the joint between the steel injector and the aluminum fin is all I ever needed to remove the fins from injectors. If heated properly and if there is not massive corrosion, I can usually remove the fins by just twisting the fin with my hand and using a rag to keep from burning my hand.

Chiron

I know it took me a while to respond today. Sorry about that. It was a long, rough one at work today. Isaac, thank you for clarifying for me about the injectors. Jamawieb and cuad4u, thanks for the tips on removing them from the finned adapters. I had planned on heating (cautiously) them up when I get a chance. Unfortunately I don't have a vise at the moment, but I've been needing one for a while. Now I have a reason.

As far as contacting Storeman, I think I'll PM him either tonight or tomorrow morning. I'll post back what I find out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks