• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 meltdown

woodmann

Fired up the Genny last week due to our latest round of flooding. Started up and got a short screech, a puff from the exhaust and it ran fine. Only problem was it didn't put out any power.

Started troubleshooting and took off the cover to the current transducer. Mouse nests, dead mice, and blackened wires. Gonna try and clean it up tomorrow and see how much damage there is. Guessing there is a 50/50 chance it didn't cook a winding or something inside the generator head.

My thought is if the CT is cooked, based on the amount of corrosion on everything inside the box, it would be easier/cheaper to replace everything by unscrewing the three inputs into the box and swapping it as a unit. Any thoughts or ideas on cost if anyone has parts units?

I still have some tests to go to try to make sure the problem is near/ in the CT and not inside the generator head.

Thanks in advance.

jamawieb

The distribution boxes are expensive if you can find one, hopefully someone here is parting out a unit and willing to sell at a responsible price. If its just the CT, greenmountain has the CT set (Ct and Cvt1) in stock for $198 which is a good price.

Last edited:

woodmann

I appreciate the offer and info. My buddy is coming over tomorrow to do some further testing. He worked on gensets in the Corps.

I cleaned it out as best as I could today. I found 2 chewed wires but neither were touching anything. I'm a little worried that something got chewed in behind the transformer that I can't see.

I still smell mouse pee everywhere 3 hours later.

Timeline98

Have your buddy check page 6-15( AC Output Box Test Setup) in the TM (I'm sure I'll talk to him before he comes over).
I should be around if you need me to check anything on my MEP.
Good Luck.
-Keith

FYI, He works best if you tempt him with grape crayons ;)

Guyfang

Staff member
If you haven't already, pull the box. It's much simpler to work on, out side the set. And easyer for you to check the main gen with it out of the way. Take your time. Check everything. Trust nothing. The screech you heard could have been the sound of a line to line short, caused by mister mouse being the temporary bridge between the chewed wires. Not a nice sound. Being able to system check components on timelines gen set will vastly speed up the repair/testing of the set.

Last edited:

woodmann

I took the distribution box off. I blew it out in every position as best as I could. Then I used a degreaser and mild detergent/antibacterial soap and scrubbed off the solids. Flushed around the transformer and blew it out again.

Are the tests of the distribution box components best done with it off the genset? I was going to put it back together before he gets here, but if testing is easier while apart I won’t.

Timeline, you know him pretty well but about any food or beverage works...

Timeline98

If checking for voltage, it will need to be connected, but when ohming it out, disconnected. So I would leave it disconnected and do those resistance tests first.

Beer and Burgers work. Good Luck

woodmann

Looks like something cooked in the voltage regulator. Got some funky readings when checking resistance, but when we put the distribution box back on and checked the VR, other than a pyrotechnic mouse turd on top of the CT, when we hooked it to 12 volts from a battery it put out 120V from L1 and L3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks