• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 no start

Alphabavo

I recently bought a MEP 002 for next to nothing that I knew had a starting problem. After diagnosing a bad injector pump, gimpyrobb was able to source a new good pump for me and I have installed it. I know this pump is sending fuel, but the engine is still not starting up.

I'm looking for any tips on getting this beast running.

jamawieb

I would beat that if the injector pump was clogged or inoperable then I would guess the injectors are bad also. I had a unit that was refurbished by the military 4 years prior to me getting it, everything was perfect but I was having the same problem as you describe. When I took the injector pump off, there was left over diesel in the pump and injectors. I replaced the pump, when I took the injectors out, I couldn't get the injectors out the shield. I sent them Storeman to get rebuilt, they were so rusted, he couldn't do anything with them. So I would take the injectors out and see if Storeman can rebuild them for you. Only 3 things make a diesel run, air, diesel, and compression.

Isaac-1

This may be a stupid question, but have you bled the injectors and are you getting return fuel flow to the tank? Also are you getting any smoke while cranking?

Alphabavo

I would beat that if the injector pump was clogged or inoperable then I would guess the injectors are bad also. I had a unit that was refurbished by the military 4 years prior to me getting it, everything was perfect but I was having the same problem as you describe. When I took the injector pump off, there was left over diesel in the pump and injectors. I replaced the pump, when I took the injectors out, I couldn't get the injectors out the shield. I sent them Storeman to get rebuilt, they were so rusted, he couldn't do anything with them. So I would take the injectors out and see if Storeman can rebuild them for you. Only 3 things make a diesel run, air, diesel, and compression.
I guess pulling the injectors is my next step.

Keith_J

I am getting tank return, not getting smoke.
No smoke means no fuel. Does the injector pump control lever move freely? Have someone look while cranking, the lever must move up with the engine shut off solenoid. They like to stick, the lever moves a collar that slides on the plunger, the clearances are tiny, the slightest bit of varnish will stop it dead, resulting in no fuel.

extreme cases can freeze the plunger, then the drive key breaks. Been there, done that today. I would suggest seeing if the control lever before cranking, some B12 Chemtool into the pump can save you the work.

Alphabavo

No smoke means no fuel. Does the injector pump control lever move freely? Have someone look while cranking, the lever must move up with the engine shut off solenoid. They like to stick, the lever moves a collar that slides on the plunger, the clearances are tiny, the slightest bit of varnish will stop it dead, resulting in no fuel.

extreme cases can freeze the plunger, then the drive key breaks. Been there, done that today. I would suggest seeing if the control lever before cranking, some B12 Chemtool into the pump can save you the work.
Control lever moves freely. I lifted it manually while cranking to confirm.
Pump is new. I confirmed operation by loosening fuel lines and watching fuel spray from lines.

Alphabavo

I'll try and bleed everything out again tomorrow, and if that doesn't do it, I'll pull the injectors and give them a look. Based on what I cleaned out of the tank when I bought this thing, I wouldn't be surprised if they're trashed.

Keith_J

You could give the injectors a squirt of B12 Chemtool, this stuff really works well on diesel varnish.

Alphabavo

Ok, maybe I'm bleeding the injectors incorrectly. I'm breaking the line from the pump loose where it meets the injector, and then cranking until I see fuel. Is there anything else I need to be doing?

Isaac-1

That generally does it, although you may still have a little air in the system it usually clears with just a bit of cranking, or may run rough for a minute or two until it clears out.

Isaac-1

It is hard to tell much from the outside, but the one of the left looks rough, and more worrisomely rusted. You might want to send them to Storeman for a test and rebuild (you will have to remove the heat sink fins first if you do) You probably also need to do a compression test.

Alphabavo

I haven't compression tested a Diesel engine before, only gasoline. I imagine this can be done through the injector port. What compression range am I looking for, and is there a decent testing kit you can recommend?

jamawieb

Yes, go ahead and see if Storeman will rebuild them for you. The injector nozzle has very small holes for the diesel to exit. You can't tell anything until you pop test the injectors. Storeman will pop test and rebuild them if need be. You will have to take the fins (insulator) off before sending. Heat and wd-40 is the only way to get them off. There is more than likely rust build up in the injector that you can't see.
Compression test are difficult because it is hard to come by a compression tester, most are home made to be used thru the injector port. The TM shows an example of the military issued compression tester to help. :)

Alphabavo

I feel like the compression must be decent, as there is good compressive resistance to turning the blower wheel by hand, as well as cranking with the starter.

the injectors are soaking in a kerosene bath overnight, we'll see if I can get the heat sinks off sometime tomorrow.

any additional knowledge is appreciated.

Isaac-1

It seems about half the time you can get them apart without heat, I have had good luck soaking in a 50/50 mix of ATF and Marvel Mystery oil in the past for similar situations, but if you have to use heat be careful those fins are made from Aluminum and give little warning before melting, they are also very brittle.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Put some oil in a coffee can or a pan and heat it up. While its hot, dump the injectors in to let the hot oil soak in. It has helped in freeing a lot of things for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks