• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002 no start

Chrispyny

Put some oil in a coffee can or a pan and heat it up. While its hot, dump the injectors in to let the hot oil soak in. It has helped in freeing a lot of things for me.
This is a great idea. I have Tractor Supply's PSC1000 in my parts cleaner. I warmed my injectors GENTLY with a torch, and then tossed them into the parts cleaner and soaked over night. Then gently chucked up each injector in my vise and the aluminum fins came off easily with a twist of a small pipe wrench. After i got mine back from storeman, i assembled them with a light coating of 'antiseize' in between everything that was a tight fit. Just a little to help with removal if required in the future. My MEP-002a runs like a champ. I also adjusted valve lash on both the intake and exhaust valves. You need feeler gauges for that, and a little experience or follow the service manual carefully on how to adjust them. If i remember correctly, exhaust are .007 gap at 70°f and intake are .010. Or vise versa . It's in the TM found here or online. My valve lash was off by several thousandths.

storeman

If Gimpy's suggestion doesn't work, try putting the fins in a large vise and work the flats of injector body back and forth with a large pipe wrench or crescent wrench until the body loosens. Then drive the body out of the fin assembly with a 1/2 or 5/5" wood dowel and a hammer. If sent here without having been disassembled, that is the way I do it (with no assurance against damage).
Jerry

Alphabavo

Another issue I noticed... As I was reading the manuals, it looks like my injector pump shims were replaces by some sort of calibrated washers.

Is there a way to figure out the correct shim size?

Isaac-1

Yes there is, the shims should never change on these and should always stay with the engine block as it controls the backlash for the gears. I have read there is a detailed process for measure spacing for the shim thickness with depth micrometers is included somewhere in the Onan Major Service manual, but I don't have a copy of it. You might try asking in the Onan section over on the Smokstak message board one of the Onan experts there should be able to direct you to the process.

Ike

p.s. with luck the correct shim thickness may be stamped on the crankcase face

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks