• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 runs and has output then stops

baxter

A friend has a mep-002 genset and it runs good and for about 2 min it will show an output of 220v and 60hz then all of a sudden it will stop any output. If I then shut down the gen and restart it will show output again and then repeats to shut down. any help would be great. Thanks.

Vaughn

Isaac-1

Check the oil pressure sensor switch, I think these are wired reverse of most civilian units with the sensor switch being normally closed and opens with pressure, but I could be wrong on that detail.

Ike

p.s. the easy way to test this is to disconnect the wire going into the sensor see if it runs, if not try again with the sensor grounded. You probably have 2 oil pressure sensors, one for oil pressure gauge, the other for the cut off switch. I don't have a MEP-002, so I am going from memory of reading the manual a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not a grounding switch. If you ground the switch legs you'll pop the control breaker.

From what the OP is saying, the generator stays running, but looses the voltage output. If this is the case, I suspect the voltage regulator as possibly going bad. If you have another one from either an MEP-003a or an MEP-002a, either one will work, try putting the new one in and see how it acts.

Give us further details and we'll help get your friend going again.

derf

I think the VR from my MEP-016B will work for 3kW, 5kW, and 10kW applications.
I am not sure because I don't have a 5kW or 10kW but there is info on the VR for wiring those size gens.

baxter

Yes the motor stays running and sounds good just looses voltage. My first thought was VR but im not very familiar with these units. He does have another mep-002 we wil pull out the VR and see what happens. Ill keep you informed.

baxter

Ok went over and put in new VR and all is well ran for about a half hour and hooked up to transfer switch and loaded it up to about 50%. Thanks for the help guys.

Vaughn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks