• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002 Vibration & Buried Pipes

Simpler is Better

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning the installation of my MEP-002. I would like to keep it on it's small trailer, and then jack it up onto blocks when in use. The ideal place is next to my house for ease of operation, switchover, etc. The (potential) problem is that my septic line runs next to the house as well.

Would the vibrations from the 002 on blocks damage an ancient buried septic line?
I can install everything on the other side of the house, but this will increase my wiring run from ~25ft to ~60ft. Running more 6ga THWN is significantly cheaper than damaging my septic line.

Side notes:
-I'm no stranger to diesels (Mercedes, Allis Chalmers, etc.) but WOW is that air cooled engine noisy! I'll be making some kind of a frankenstein ASK for it.
-A SquareD interlock, Reliance MB75 load monitor, 6ga THWN, 50A inlet, and 50A SOOW cord will be properly installed.
-A ground rod will be installed at the generator.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground displacement will be the key to this.

Spread the load over a larger area and you'll be fine.

I doubt the vibration will affect your pipes unless you have very loose ground and very very bad pipes.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to reconsider a ground rod at the generator. A consensus of previous discussions would be to ground the generator and trailer to the house ground rod.

Simpler is Better

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After re-reading the sticky at the top, I'll skip the grounding rod and make sure that I use 6-4 cable to wire it all up.

It's probably clay pipe or something equally weak. The pipe inside the house appears to be cast iron, but the place was built in 1920 so I have no idea what is actually under the yard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks