• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A/003A ASK Pictures

ApolloKnight

Hey All -

Looking for pictures of the ASK kit on an 02 or 03. Recently purchased an 03 and it doesn't look like there are many kits avaliable, so after talking with a buddy we're just going to build one ourself.

One issue I'm seeing is there does not really appear to be any vents in some of the pictures I've seen. if this is the case, how does the unit cool without vents in the airflow?

Thanks!

Guyfang

Staff member
Apollo,

Go to the -24P manual, for the MEP-002A. Scroll down to PDF page 180. You will see some Drawings. The air passages for the front of the set are clear. The Items J, K, and M, Look farther on for the parts breakdown, are rubber I believe. Air circulated around them, if I remember right, and was passed through the set.

The -24 for the MEP-003A doesn't have the ASK kit, for some reason.

Put an add here in the Forum. Maybe someone like Superman or Chief919 might be able to help you.

You also can glean some info from the -12 manuals.

The MEP-701, 3 KW was also a ASK gen set, and they mounted some 24 volt vans on the thing to help cooling. Just an idea.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

There are some ASK kits available if you look hard enough. If you plan to own one for a long time I would hold out on finding an OEM version that has been engineered to fit and perform well.

There still might be some members here who still might have one stashed away just taking up space that might be ready to part with them at a reasonable cost.

If you want one REALLY BAD there are some new ones out there but still scarce. http://battlegradeelectric.com/ask_kit_10kw.php

Also, there is a small shed style enclosure that you could build if you have the room for one. A shed solves the issue with maintaining easy maintenance access:

generator-shed.jpg

Triple Jim

I was about to buy a NOS ASK kit, but changed my mind when I realized how much harder routine maintenance would be with all those covers on everything. I decided if I need to quiet my 003A down, I'll build a shed that's big enough to let me move around to work on it.

Guyfang

Staff member
I was about to buy a NOS ASK kit, but changed my mind when I realized how much harder routine maintenance would be with all those covers on everything. I decided if I need to quiet my 003A down, I'll build a shed that's big enough to let me move around to work on it.
That's my only problem with it. Its simply harder to see whats going on. Harder to work on it. This type of noise destroyed my hearing. Well, truth to be told is I destroyed my hearing. I didnt wear hearing protection until late in the ballgame. Way too late. But the darn things are loud. Build a sound proof, or deadening room. Give yourself room to move around, and call it good.

ApolloKnight

That's my only problem with it. Its simply harder to see whats going on. Harder to work on it. This type of noise destroyed my hearing. Well, truth to be told is I destroyed my hearing. I didnt wear hearing protection until late in the ballgame. Way too late. But the darn things are loud. Build a sound proof, or deadening room. Give yourself room to move around, and call it good.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to take your advise on this one. I wanted it to be trailer mounted and mobile, but this is not really the unit to be mobile. Plus, the other 4 family member's houses that I could possibly use it at, none would be wired up.

I think I'm going to go for one of those little 3-5kw MEP-831's to have as a portable unit and keep the 003 as my home generator. Now to look at building a generator shed for it!

steelypip

I think I'm going to go for one of those little 3-5kw MEP-831's to have as a portable unit and keep the 003 as my home generator. Now to look at building a generator shed for it!
That was exactly the conclusion I reached. The MEP-002A doesn't move. It sits on rubber pads on the corner of the parking pad. Some day it will have a shelter to live under. Right now it has a tarp.

Portable generation needs are handled by a MEP-016B (actually an MEP-701A) if I need 240V (like the well pump down the road), or a small commercial inverter generator to run power tools and such (Briggs&Stratton P2200i)

I truly love the MEP-002A. It has kept us comfortable through a number of bad weather events. But it's not the right tool for all jobs, at least not in a residential setting.

Chainbreaker

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm going to take your advise on this one. I wanted it to be trailer mounted and mobile, but this is not really the unit to be mobile. Plus, the other 4 family member's houses that I could possibly use it at, none would be wired up.

Good thinking, you're on the right track!

If building a shed I would take in air low (cooler ground air) nearest the generator's blower wheel intake and then put the exhaust vent(s) up high opposite wall but still employ a sound deadening plenum like affair on both openings if your really concerned about noise being emitted from shed. Also, by nature being an air cooled unit it is going to radiate a lot of heat into shed from all components, especially in summer. You might consider a thermostatically controlled exhaust fan(s) to assist with venting which could be powered off one of the convenience outlets. Sounds like a fun project!

Guyfang

Staff member
Apollo,

The MEP-831A is for sure a handy set. It says a four man carry, but two people who are semi healthy can carry it. Not far, but still, it's doable. If you need something mobile and bit bigger, for my money, a PU-797 or PU-797A, (PU means Power Unit, Trailer and Gen Set) would be what I would want. Its a 5 KW on a one ton trailer. Take a look at TM 9-6115-659-13&P in the TM forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks