• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A and 003A Fuel consumption?

mark69k20

For those of you that have used these gen sets what is a no BS hourly/daily fuel useage going to be?

I didn't see anything in the T.O.

I just got a MEP-002A up and running and need to know how much fuel to keep on hand.

Thanks

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's in the TM! 002 if I remember correctly is .5GPH no load, and a little over 1GPH under load. 003 is twice that. if you cannot find it in the specification section of the TM, try doing a search in the Auxiliary Equipment forum - it's there too!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Mep-002a uses about half a gallon per hour. I have run it a couple times for 7-8 hours and .5 gal/hour is what it used.

And I do think the fuel consummation is in one of the TMs.

mark69k20

Thanks guys! That is pretty good.... Appreciate the info.

I have a parts generator that has 8800hrs on it... is this about max life expectancy or are there so out there that are 10,000+????
If 8800 is not at the very top end i need to swap my starter over and try to fire up the old parts machine!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
8800 hours is still a baby. It shouldn't even be away from it's mamma yet...LOL. Seriously, 10,000 hours is about the point the military says to rebuild them, but if you look at diesel construction equipment and diesel farm equipment, it's not uncommon to have machines out there with 20, 30 or even 40,000 or more hours on them. And you have to remember, these machines probably had a lot more of a regular and thurough maintenance program done to them.

I say, put a starter on it and see if she fires. Even if you don't want to run it past 10,000 hours, do you really think you'll put 1200 hours on it in your lifetime. My tractor, which I use every week in the summer for mowing, plus mowing the pastures, and plowing the snow in the winter, hasn't had more than 300 to 350 hours on it in 7 1/2 years. I'll gaurantee that that tractor sees a lot more use than my generators will. It'll take a long long time to put 1200 hours on a generator.

jbk

i got a 002 with 9600 hrs. from gl that runs great no smoke it had some new parts on it ip pump starter,meters. ive used a 802a through 3 hurricanes for a total 14 days and put 260 hrs. on it. a high hr. gen. dont bother me.

coyotegray

I'm getting about the same fuel usage from my 002 and 003 as others but I would like to be able to monitor it real time. Does anyone know of a fuel flow meter that could measure down to, say a 10th of a gallon an hour that doesn't cost too much..?

Thanks,
Andy.

Carl_in_NH

Does anyone know of a fuel flow meter that could measure down to, say a 10th of a gallon an hour that doesn't cost too much..?
Trouble is, you'll need two of them - one for the fuel going to the IP, and one for the return line, and then calculate the fuel consumed by subtraction. Much simpler on a gasoline powered genset where there's no return line to worry about.

coyotegray

Your absolutely right. I had not thought about that...

ETA. Unless you're using an external fuel source. It wouldn't be "real time" since it would fluctuate some but would give you an idea of fuel usage over time..

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks