• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a ASK Fixup

n5yzv

I am nearing the end of my rebuild journey. Time to get the ASK back on the generator. However, some of the panels, the insulation is deteriorating. Any recommendations for replacement padding?

jamawieb

I used dynamat insulation for cars. It deflects heat and has a self adhesive backing that has held up well over the years.

n5yzv

I imagine the insulation is more for sound than anything. I think anyway. If it is for temp, heh, I live in South Texas. Dynamat is a good idea. I think there are some generic options that I have look at for my SUV, but I didn't want to go with them since they were "tar" based. I wasn't real crazy about having it in the cab on days when it was 105 F outside.

Guyfang

Staff member
As soon as I can get a functioning computer, I will look up the part number, NSN and manufacturer for the insulation used in the TQG's. It's not bad stuff. Adhesive on the back, easy to cut and shape. Last year I seem to remember a thread about improving the noise damping qualitys of the TQG's. There were several alturnitives listed there, that were right intresting. Do a search, and peruse the thread. Might be some good ideas there also.

n5yzv

I started digging on the dynamat idea. I have always thought, they had just the 1/16-1/8" thick mat. Turns out, they have a 3/4" "hoodliner" that is can take the heat, but designed to keep down the noise. In the description, they mention Generator "housing". This may be a similar product (as it isn't cheap). Once I get it on, I'll try to take a few pics for future reference.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/hoodliner/

n5yzv

Oh, one other thing - The rear panel of my ASK, the part that covers the blower wheel, has been crushed a little. The vents in it, made for a very nice "compression zone". Other than brute force, any tips to get these straightened out?

Guyfang

Staff member
There is a guy, in Orem Utah, (?) who is selling a bunch of "junk" he needs to get rid of. I thik his SS name is Truckdriver? He had several ASK gen sets piled up in parts. Look in the forum for him.

jamawieb

Oh, one other thing - The rear panel of my ASK, the part that covers the blower wheel, has been crushed a little. The vents in it, made for a very nice "compression zone". Other than brute force, any tips to get these straightened out?
If its not to bad, run a steel bar through the vents and pull back.
If they were to badly crushed, I would just take it off and then cover the blower hole with metal mesh. I usually just riveted it to the rear housing

n5yzv

Got the top panel grinded down. Used a 80 grit flap disk on a 4" grinder. Went over it with a angle grinder with wire cup. Cleaned it up with acetone, then two coats of CRC Rust Converter. This leaves a paintable primed surface. Before I paint, I figured I'll get the noise deadening in. First layer next to the metal, I used Dynamat Extreme, covering every inch (that is the black stuff). Then, I put a layer of Dynamat Hoodliner over that, except the air filter hatch. Before the panel sounded like cheap panel metal. Now, it sounds like a quality panel. Very "dead" sound.
This isn't the cheap way, but I really don't like regret. I'll be running it in a more suburban neighborhood, so I figure, every db counts. I'll paint it tomorrow. I plan to use some oil based "olive drab" camo paint. But first, I'll stop by sherman williams to see what they have to say.

IMG_7642.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks