• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a Auxiliary Pump Lift?

kjayma

Aha, that makes sense. BTW, I didn't realize the auxiliary pump bung would fit a female 1/4 NPT connector until I saw your pictures. I thought I needed to find a JIC/AN connector. That makes things much simpler.

wchunn

Greetings,

I've been searching the forum for any information about the built-in 75 gallon aux fuel tank that's on the trailer housing my MEP-002A and this thread seems closer than any others I've read. I have several questions but will start with the two that are bugging me the most.

1. Underneath the tank there is a large hose attached (3/4" I believe) which has a shutoff valve and a large screw-on fuel filter. The line goes from the bottom of the aux fuel tank to the filter then out from under the trailer and is tied to the side of the trailer right at the front corner (same side as the aux fuel tank, left side when standing at the hitch, facing the genset). The line is capped. When I first saw it I thought it was some sort of arrangement to connect the aux fuel tank to a larger tank but it didn't make a lot of sense to fill the aux fuel tank from the bottom. Of course I'm new to all of this so maybe this makes perfect sense and I'm just to dense to see it. Anyway, I'm looking for further light and knowledge regarding this set up.

2. I have a line attached to the aux fuel pump that runs to a pipe fitting on the top of the aux fuel tank (very near the filler cap). Is this all that is required to access the fuel in the aux tank? I believe I understand from reading various posts here that the aux fuel pump will replenish the set tank from the aux fuel tank when the set tank float detects a certain level. I'm curious a) what level in the set tank will trigger the fuel transfer?, and b) I did the best I could to put fuel in the line but there are still some air pockets. Do I need to bleed the air or will the aux fuel pump take care of that when it starts transferring fuel?

Thank you in advance to any kind soul that can help me out. I've been lost in the woods on these two topics for several weeks and would really appreciate any help. On the good news side, the genset works like a champ, starts right up, provides great power (seems capable of more than 5KW) and seems steady as a rock.

jbk

pictures would really help. i have never seen an arrangnent like that for a 002. they are normaly mounted on a 116a trailer. that line along side of the filler cap you describe sounds like the suction line going to the aux. pump conn. at the gen.. at the aux. tank their should be a long tube inside the tank attached to this conn. to lift fuel.
the fuel is drawn from your aux. tank to the gen. fuel tank at your gen. just as you describe. the line and filter you describe on the bottom of the aux. fuel tank i have no clue. the only thing you need their is a drain.

wchunn

Thanks for the reply, I'll get the pics and post them later today. You are absolutely correct, the point where I connected the aux fuel line going to the designated aux fuel pump has a long tube down into the tank. The other hose I mentioned is 3/4" ID, very large, doesn't look like a line to go to the aux fuel pump unless I neck it down with adapters.

Regarding the trailer, I haven't seen one like it here on the forum, it looks more like a covered wagon, huge wheels, massive hitch, independent brakes on each of the two wheels, two giant steel wheels on the hitch jack, air brake connections, etc. The cover is some sort of rubberized canvas, the whole thing is desert tan. Again, the pictures should explain a lot. I'll also get pictures of the nameplate (s), etc.

wchunn

M105A2, MEP-002A, and Aux Fuel Tank Pictures

Okay, here are the pictures.

First, the trailer is plated as 1 1/2 Ton, 2Wheel M105A2. Here it is:

M105A2 Pic 1.jpgM105A2 Pic 2.jpgM105A2 Pic 3.jpgM105A2 Pic 4.jpgM105A2 Pic 5.jpg

Then there's the large 3/4" fuel line that comes out of the bottom of the Aux Tank:

Large Fuel Line Pic 1.jpgLarge Fuel Line Pic 2.jpgLarge Fuel Line Pic 3.jpg

Then there is the small fuel line connecting the aux tank to the aux fuel pump:

Aux fuel line at Aux Pump.jpgAux Fuel Line at Aux Tank.jpg

Does this help?

jbk

my guess the line on the bottom was probley used to suppy another piece of equipment. the trailer is a m105 1.5 ton its not a gen. trailer(cargo). a boarding latter might be a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks