• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a Brand new head glow plug explodes

Hello all, I bought two new head glow plugs, Wellman p/n 6A843G042K. On the firtst use one blew up less than 15 seconds after puting voltage to it, I heard a pop; split the tube. The second plug bulbed, I would say pretty bad already.
Has anyone else had this experience? Any speculation what in the world would cause this? Thank you.

cuad4u

Both glow plugs in my 002A were toast. I bought two new Champion CH46 glow plugs for $17 each instead of spending $57 for OE glow plugs. I like to keep my stuff as original as my wallet permits. I understand 24V glow plugs are rare and expensive, but I did not have any trouble finding the Champions. However if anyone wanted to use 12V glow plugs and assuming they will fit, you could wire two 12V glow plugs in series on the 002A.

Isaac-1

How would you wire 2 glow plugs in series given their return circuit is through the negative ground frame? I could see wiring them 12V though through a hybrid 12/24V electrical system much like the CUCV's have. Or wire in an inline resistor which would be wasteful, but relatively easy. On a side note according to my DC clamp meter mine pull 4.2 - 4.3 amps each at 24V.

Ike

johnray13

How would you wire 2 glow plugs in series given their return circuit is through the negative ground frame? I could see wiring them 12V though through a hybrid 12/24V electrical system much like the CUCV's have. Or wire in an inline resistor which would be wasteful, but relatively easy. On a side note according to my DC clamp meter mine pull 4.2 - 4.3 amps each at 24V.

Ike
Couldn't you wire them the same way as the 12v manifold heaters?

steelypip

If they're stamped 24V on the plug and they popped, then they're defective, simple as that. There are no voltages higher than 24V available on the set when it's not running.

I think it's extremely likely that they just grabbed the wrong internals out of the bin and they were actually 12V glow plugs. This is a good reason to a) bench test, and b) check the resistance of the plugs and do a little Ohm's law so you know what to expect during the bench test.