• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a Burning up glow plugs.

MusgroveM

I have 2 generators that burn the glow plugs out. They burn the end off and something boils out of the glow plug. I don't preheat for more than 10 seconds and they aren't getting power after it starts. With a new Champion CH42, the gen will start and run fine. after 5min it will start to slow and I hear what sounds like 'spark knock' and befor long the engine gets lower and lower til it dies. The other thing these gens have in common is, I've taken the injector pump off and cleaned them out. I'm 99% certian the timing is on. it runs good for 5min, til it gets warm enough for the luovers to open. Has anybody seen this befor?

1800 Diesel

Never heard of that--especially on two units in the "same batch"....If you have another unit close by (known good one), try swapping out preheat relay K2. Maybe this one is randomly sticking or "re-engaging"?? Only other thing that comes to mind--the master switch is doing something abnormal...

BTW, I'm surprised you can get away with a 10-second preheat for a cold start. If I don't go a minimum of 30-45 seconds (depending on ambient temp) my MEP2s & 3s won't start.... Hot start, different story....

Edit--One section of manual names the preheat relay as "R2"...didn't check the schematic but I believe relays normally use the "K" designation....

Last edited:

MusgroveM

Yeah it's summer time... I checked the 02a Hollinsworth again. It looks like the timing is a tooth off. It runs good though. Being out of time probably doesn't allow the exhaust valve to stay open long enough and builds too much heat.
The other one is an 003a Libby. I set it aside for a riany day project 6 mons ago.
I'll post my findings after correcting this egregious oversight. good thing I don't work on these for a living.....
Mike

Isaac-1

Ease of starting depends on many factors, my MEP-002a will fire right up this time of year with no need to pre heat at all, but it did come from GL with a brand new starter installed which probably helps. By comparison my MEP-003a will start without preheating, but chugs and sputters a bit even when it is 100 degrees out.

Ike

MusgroveM

I must be doing the timing wrong.... It still looks like it's about 3deg off where it should be, and still dieing after 5min.
Keep in mind it's an 002a, 2 cylinder not 4.
1) Rotate engine til the pointer lines up with the PC mark on the flywheel
2) Rotatae inj pump til the 1/8" welding rod falls into keyed slot.
3) Holding rod in keyed slot pust inj pump into position on to engine block.

I'm wondering if the pointer at the flywheel is a little off.
Mike

1800 Diesel

I must be doing the timing wrong.... It still looks like it's about 3deg off where it should be, and still dieing after 5min.
Keep in mind it's an 002a, 2 cylinder not 4.
1) Rotate engine til the pointer lines up with the PC mark on the flywheel
2) Rotatae inj pump til the 1/8" welding rod falls into keyed slot.
3) Holding rod in keyed slot pust inj pump into position on to engine block.

I'm wondering if the pointer at the flywheel is a little off.
Mike
Can't help you on this one, but I expect Jerry will check in eventually with some good wisdom and there's a few others on here who have been through the IP R&R and reinstall as well....

Isaac-1

I am wondering if the dieing after 5 minutes may be unrelated, do you have the vent switch open on the bottom side of the fuel tank fill cap? (the little lever in the middle that turns for vent open/closed) Also are you getting return fuel flow when switch is in prime position?

MusgroveM

I thought about the fuel tank cap as it was shutting down and right after it died (3sec) I opened the cap. There was no big sucking sound...
Timing it 1 tooth the other direction was UGLY.... All black smoke out the exhaust and white smoke coming out the valve cover. Naturaly I was thinking if I start at PC and end up 3deg bolow PC, then if I start 3deg above PC I'll be right where I need to be.
This just isn't a job for a guy with fat fingers.

MusgroveM

The inj pump is an American Bosch. I put my spare Ambak M50 in to see if the gen would even run. I dialed it in and load tested it ran it for about an hr. Absolutly no problems...... I wasn't going to leave the Ambak on there, the button number isn't the same.

storeman

The inj pump is an American Bosch. I put my spare Ambak M50 in to see if the gen would even run. I dialed it in and load tested it ran it for about an hr. Absolutly no problems...... I wasn't going to leave the Ambak on there, the button number isn't the same.
Button number on replacement pump means nothing by itself. You may have just got lucky! What is important is the combined number you get by adding the button number value to the port closing dimension (PCD) value engraved lightly on the base of the IP. If the compared totals of your two IPs are within about .003 of each other, you have interchangeable pumps. I may be off on the figures and nomenclature a bit but the button values are in the -34 TM and the numerical procedures for replacing pumps is clearly spelled out. Depending on PCD values, between 2 pumps, equivalent button numbers could literally be any value and still produce near identical performance.

If your unit has shims between the pump and the block, the shims stay with the block.

Jerry :beer:

glassk

Opening pressure should be 1950 ± 25 psi for a new nozzle, never really worked with a Diesel', Think I got lucky on my Mep002A to learn on.

2000psi takes a pretty dedicated set up to work with these things, ,..[thumbzup] Jerry

storeman

Opening pressure should be 1950 ± 25 psi for a new nozzle, never really worked with a Diesel', Think I got lucky on my Mep002A to learn on.

2000psi takes a pretty dedicated set up to work with these things, ,..[thumbzup] Jerry

Yes it does and my set up seems to work pretty well. I don't get +- 25 psi but do get +- 50 psi. With most used injectors I see, they are off 200-500 psi, so improvement becomes obvious, providing they can be adjusted.

Jerry :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks