• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A control box vibration dampeners

justacitizen

I think i need some new Vibration dampeners for my MEP 002A. the control box shakes more than it should. i temp fixed the problem by doubling over some soft rubber tarp straps and wedging them between the box and frame. anyone know who carries these parts?

Triple Jim

After the previous post I searched a little and found them offered at $75 each. I'd find something else that would do the job, but that's just me.

Chainbreaker

...I'd find something else that would do the job, but that's just me.
Yeah, me too! That part # is also used on B-52's and other aircraft, no wonder its so darn expensive! All these mounts are doing is securing a metal box and dampening vibrations. Before paying $300 for a set I would consider experimenting with trying to fab something together. Images of some type of hockey puck shaped rubber material perhaps compressed with a bolt and valve spring is starting to form a vision... Or, leave your original mounts in place and find some small solid rubber balls/spheres and drill a hole through them and run a bolt through it attached to frame and box and tighten just enough to further aid in dampening your control box.

Its only a generator, not a B-52! So just MacGyver it!

Last edited:

justacitizen

I have contacted the manufacturer of these mounts. there is an expiration date on them so somewhere sitting on a shelf are some perfectly good mounts that can't be used because they are to old of have been taken out of service for the same reason. we shall see.

Chainbreaker

They have a 20 year shelf life according to the spec's I read. So if you do run across any sellers selling expired ones, even at a significant discount, I doubt they are going to be all that useful or last very long. The internal elastomer material ages and may not be up to the task for the rather harsh vibrations a MEP-002a subjects them to. Its similar to a "really old" spare tire that was never put into service, never touched the ground and still looks pristine. Unfortunately the rubber still ages and dry rots and will soon fail if put into use.

justacitizen

I found some still inside the expiration date. I watched some youtube vids of other MEP 002A running and the control box was stable so i stayed with the original design. my concern is that the wire harness behind the control box would give way at the connector.

Guyfang

Staff member
Never seen it happen. I worked on some that had been to the wars, and then some. But none that had such a failure. More common was that the wire harness falls apart because of extended exposure to sunlight. The wire harness is made of aircraft grade wire. Tough stuff. But 10-20 years exposure to sun can do it in.

justacitizen

that is good news! my control box was shaking so bad i was concerned that the wires would break behind the control box

Never seen it happen. I worked on some that had been to the wars, and then some. But none that had such a failure. More common was that the wire harness falls apart because of extended exposure to sunlight. The wire harness is made of aircraft grade wire. Tough stuff. But 10-20 years exposure to sun can do it in.

Chainbreaker

that is good news! my control box was shaking so bad i was concerned that the wires would break behind the control box
Just curious, what year of mfg. is your genset (and/or reset yr) and have you checked to confirm that all your control box mounts are still snugged down tight (no missing hardware) to frame & box?

Considering these mounts 20 year shelf life, or less operationally, I guess all of our control box mounts on MEP-002/3a's are living on borrowed time unless they have been replaced since 2006 or later. If shaking badly, I would be more concerned about damage to the instrumentation and the control box's internal wire tabs, that mount to the various terminal blocks, fatiguing and breaking more than anything else.

justacitizen

I am not sure about the date of MFG but i know it was rebuilt in Utah. the vibration was harmonic and it was more of a shaking motion moving near 1/4 inch or more at the top. the hertz meter and the load meter didn't survive the shaking. i temporarily helped the situation by doubling over some soft rubber tarp straps and wedging them between the frame and the control box. i had to experiment in different places until the shaking became just vibration. the machine was running smooth as silk and not jumping around or anything. it was a harmonic situation. with the price of components in the control box something needs to be done to these mounts or some replacement of some kind. i found some original mounts much cheaper but were still costly.

Just curious, what year of mfg. is your genset (and/or reset yr) and have you checked to confirm that all your control box mounts are still snugged down tight (no missing hardware) to frame & box?

Considering these mounts 20 year shelf life, or less operationally, I guess all of our control box mounts on MEP-002/3a's are living on borrowed time unless they have been replaced since 2006 or later. If shaking badly, I would be more concerned about damage to the instrumentation and the control box's internal wire tabs, that mount to the various terminal blocks, fatiguing and breaking more than anything else.

justacitizen

I just found a source for aftermarket mounts that are much cheaper and just might be a direct replacement. not sure until i dig deeper. anyway they look good.

can i post a link? if not look up "Barrys shock mounts" let me know what you think.

Chainbreaker

...can i post a link? .
You can post a commonly available parts, aka commercial off the shelf (COTS), link unless it is to an auction site. The intent of the rule, as I understand it, is that if someone takes the time and does all the research to find something of limited availability its not cool to post a link of the item for others to tag along and possibly buy out from under them. In other words, when it comes to auctions or one-offs everyone has to do their own research and due diligence.

justacitizen

I received my new mounts in the mail today. they are not what i expected at all,they are very firm and not flexible at all. if you look for an alternative mount it will need to be almost solid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks