• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a DC draw

dependable

When I hook batteries up to the 002, there is a very slight spark when I connect the last battery cable. Never noticed this before, I'm thinking this is not normal, is it?

Any ideas where to start looking for the problem? I can just leave batteris un hooked, but prefer it to be in optimal condition. Unit starts & runs fine.

Chainbreaker

That small tic/spark is normal when hooking up batteries due to capacitors recharge draw. I have battery disconnects on all of mine and they tic pretty much every time after leaving disconnected for any extended time and retightening the battery disconnect. As long as you don't see any significant draw on batteries running them down when connected and unit starts and operates normally I would say its fine.

dependable

Thanks for the replies, I thought about capacitor draw, but did not recall seeing a spark in the past.

I'll check Guy's tests when this storm is over, but suspect everything is OK. House was on the 802 for a while this morning, with the 002 in ready reserve, over 10K customers just on this island without power. The linemen got about half of us restored now, including me. Got to hand it to them, it is still pretty gnarly out there.

Ray Cook

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, guys. I have an 003A coming my way that does the same thing. So far, I've left the negative cable un-hooked, just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks