• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Fuel Injecton Pump Timing Button

MEP injection pump

Hello all and how is everyone. I was reading this post for a little guidance on an issue I have with an 002 I am working on.
I was able to get this machine to run briefly on Saturday but have a few other issues.On the right side of the IP, the linkage is sticking and will not move freely. The machine has sat for quite some time and maybe there could be a corrosion problem inside. I pumped Marvel oil into it from the supply side and then removed the tubing from the return to tank side and pumped more Marvel oil in from that way. I let it sit for a week without doing anything else.
Thursday afternoon I picked up my fuel tank from the local radiator shop after having it cleaned and installed it Saturday morning. I put fresh diesel in the tank and let the pump run for a bit to purge out the air. After some cranking It started smoking and when I got about 25 lbs of oil pressure it started to fire up.
Well, the machine ran (pretty bad) but a few other things have to be addressed yet. My concern with the IP linkage is does anybody have any Idea's on what is causing it to stick so much, and am I looking at rebuilding/replacing the pump.
Ive looked at the TMs for the plate to mount the pump on and I could make that myself. It also shows another tool for taking the pump apart using an arbor press. Didn't get the details on that one but I think I could make one of those as well.
So anyone have an idea of whats causing my linkage problem? Thanks for any help with this,metalworker393

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an MEP002A I checked the timing on. When rotating the engine clockwise, the fuel did not stop flowing from the number one cylinder port until the PC mark on the flywheel was two marks past the pointer. I have an A button in my IP. Per page 7-40 of TM5-6115-585-34, "If the P.C. mark on the flywheel is above the pointer, injection pump is closing late and will require a thicker button." Based on this, I need to go to an R button (thicker).
As is often the case, I over analyze what I am doing. As apposed to what the manual says, I would think that if the PC mark goes past the pointer for fuel to stop, that the pump is closing early instead of late. What am I missing? Is AMBAC the best and only source for these buttons?