• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a Fuel lines

BobbyT

With the new 002a, I've pressure washed it and it looks great now. Before i try to fire it up for the first time, I'm going through the fuel system. I have removed all 3 filters and replaced them with 2 spin-on WIX filters. I'm wanting to replace all my fuel lines since they appear to be the stock ones and have seen better days. I'm running into a problem finding replacements. I have reused all the 90 degree fittings which appear to be a -5 AN fitting? Is that correct?

I have been looking all over the internet to find a -5 AN fitting and hose to make all new lines, but i cannot for the life of me find anyone with -5 AN fittings. I did find my local O'Reilly's can make them, but they are hydraulic lines and are HUGE compared to the factory, so I'm hesitant to have them make them if i can find them elsewhere.

Any ideas?

Also for documentation/search info, here are the filter base and filter numbers i used. I will try to post pictures as well as i go.

WIX 33405/ NAPA 3405 - 14 Micron Fuel/Water Separator Filter
WIX 33352/NAPA 3352 - 6 Micron Filter
NAPA GOLD 4770 - Remote Mount Spin-On Filter Bases

I also found a 2 micron filter after i ordered the others that i will get for spare.
WIX 33528/NAPA 3528 - 2 Micron Filter

cuad4u

Just another way to look at it......A while back I bought a 003A that had been canibalized. Among other things it was missing all 3 OE fuel filter canisters and all the connecting hoses. Since I only wanted a useable generator and not one that was mil-spec, I went to the local Ford tractor dealer and bought the two section Ford tractor fuel filter assembly for $35. It consists of a water separator with a glass see-through bottom so you can see if water is in it followed by the second filter. Both filter canisters have identical particulate filter cartridges. I screwed standard 90 degree 5/16 brass hose barb fittings on the input and output of the Ford filter assembly. Then I used standard NAPA 5/16 inch ID fuel hose and stainless steel worm drive hose clamps to connect the fuel pumps to the input of the Ford fuel filter assembly and I used the same 5/16 fuel hose to connect the output of the Ford fuel filter assembly to the fuel check valve that in turn is connected to the input of the IP. While not mil-spec this generator has been run 57 hours with no issues. I see no reason the generator won't run the rest of its life using the Ford fuel filter assembly and the NAPA fuel hoses.

rustystud

Vacation Orcas Island  4-15 to 18-2014 123.jpg
Is there any concern with the translucent poly causing any problems with algae growth?
The DOT approved hose is usually either black or green. Sometimes it is yellow or blue but never clear. Here is a picture which shows how the line is made up. Cut the hose as square as possible, then insert the jam nut then the brass ferrule. Insert this into the fitting (all the way in) which has a stainless steel insert and tighten the jam nut down. Easy.

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Just to clarify a fine point here, AN and JIC will cross mate, but are not identical (there are differences in the way the threads are cut, making AN less prone to cross threading, has more lifetime connection cycles, etc), however for our purposes on these generators they are generally interchangeable.

Grega

You can also cut the crimps off the hose fittings with a hack saw and find a hose that fits over the barbs and use worm clamps. Ive done this a few times. But not for sure if this will work in your case.

Ray70

If you are also going to change the return line going back to the fuel tank, that one is smaller than the rest. It's a -4AN or 1/4" SAE/JIC, whatever you want to call it. ;)

BobbyT

Thanks everyone for all the info and suggestions. I've had to work on another project all weekend, (better half has been wanting a fire pit for a while :smile:) so the MEP got the back burner. So late Sunday i couldn't stand it, i just put all the original lines back on it just to see if it would fire up. After about a minute of priming and no leaks on any of the lines, i preheated and BAM she fired right off and purred like a kitten!! I had to slightly adjust RPM to get to 60hz on the meter, everything seemed within specs, makes good power. Ran it for about 15 minutes with no issues, both exhaust ports were real close in temps and oil pressure was 35-40. I have the digital gauge kit and decals from Jim that i will install later when i really dig into restoring. (Disclaimer.... i have the OCD issue of tearing things down and totally redoing everything, but I'm trying to not let that happen so much with the MEP , that's why i haven't gone the hose clamp route cuad4u, not that i didn't think about it :wink:). I'm also debating if i feel like designing and machining a spin on oil filter adapter or just buying Spedmons kit, i do enjoy that though, time will decide that one.

The interesting thing about searching for the fittings is that they are 5/16ths and when you look at those, they list the equivalent -5 AN number in their specs, but if you search for just -5 AN, you get NADA.

Rusty, i really like the idea of the Poly line, that's a very interesting concept for fuel lines. I wonder what what the longevity of them would be compared to the rubber lines? I would think they would possibly outlast them as long as they weren't exposed to the elements all the time (UV, etc). I think it would look pretty good too. I'll have to investigate the specs on both just for my own curiosity.

Ray70, i did notice the return line was a -4AN or 1/4" JIC, and i happen to have some 1/4" line and some -4 fittings from another project.

Whats been keeping me from "real" work.... :smile:
I used some scrap i had laying around and the end of a 250 gallon propane tank. 1/2" EMT tubing for the inside lip and some 3/8 square bar for the outside lip.
I've decided to box in the angle feet too, i should have just used square tubing... aua
Fire-Pit.jpg

Ok, back to the regular program....
Dual spin-on Fuel filter setup. I reused the angle the original 3 were attached to and just flipped it, made some spacers to bring it down where everything was accessible. I also blasted all the pumps and painted them black.
Once i figure out what i'm going to do for the lines, ill tear it all back down to blast/paint.
Filters.jpg

Thanks again for all the support on this site, it definitely has been a huge help and what actually got me into military generators.
I'm already looking for another to fix and sell or give to my parents, so the bug has bitten...[thumbzup]

rustystud

BobbyT, the fuel lines will outlast you and me both. All modern truck's and busses have come with these lines since the 1980's. We just finished surplusing a fleet of busses bought in the mid 1980's. We have to run our busses for 15 years minimum (federal requirement) which usually ends up being 20 years. No problems with the fuel lines degrading at all. Unlike rubber which will degrade setting on a shelf.

BobbyT

Rustystud, after looking at specs on poly tubing, i believe you are correct. I also just realized and went and looked at my boats hydraulic steering hoses, they are poly tubing as well. Thanks for sharing that info, i would have never thought about that even though I've seen it used like that many times and never realized it.

Ratch

Good info. I went and bought 25' of appropriate fuel hose at a hydraulic shop, and re-used several fittings for my 002 and 018. They turn out to be fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble, but I haven't done it in a year or so, and forget now.
I also bought a bag of 50 from an online hydraulic shop, and am now way overstocked on fittings. But I can make one any time I need it. ;)

BobbyT

I thought I'd throw an update out there... I just got the frame back from the powdercoater yesterday. Went with what they said was their flat black, but it ended up being almost a satin which is fine. I Have almost everything else blasted and primed, but it will be another week or so before I have time to start painting them and reassembling it.
image.jpg

jacobsk

Good info. I went and bought 25' of appropriate fuel hose at a hydraulic shop, and re-used several fittings for my 002 and 018. They turn out to be fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble, but I haven't done it in a year or so, and forget now.
I also bought a bag of 50 from an online hydraulic shop, and am now way overstocked on fittings. But I can make one any time I need it. ;)
Do you happen to have the part number from those fittings?

jacobsk

Just as an FYI for those interested, it looks like the fittings I have on my MEP-002a are Aeroquip 491-5 fittings for use with Aeroquip 491 hose.

They look exactly like this:
Snap572.jpg
I found them for $5ea here: http://www.exercise-equipment-parts.com/ms24587-4.html but I'm not sure about shipping.

Seems the 491-5 hose fittings are available online typically around $13 ea depending on where you buy. I'll see if I can stop into an Aeroquip storefront and find what the counter price is.

Keith_J

Is there any concern with the translucent poly causing any problems with algae growth?
No, algae grows in water. That scum in diesel, when you get water mixed in, is bacteria. Keep diesel dry by runnin the set and swapping out old diesel. Clean, fresh diesel makes for happy injection systems.

nothing wrong with poly, mil spec hoses and insulation was designed to withstand a flash fire. Which is why the wiring is coated with both nylon and a fiberglass braid, the nylon chars while the fiberglass insulates. It is also used in military aircraft for the same reason.

These hoses are low pressure, I used standard fuel line (Viton rubber with braid in between) and air hose clamps, these install with a vise tool. McMaster Carr items.

Ratch

Do you happen to have the part number from those fittings?

145-0609K 145-0609K | 3/8" Hose Barb x 3/8" JIC 37° Female Swivel (Brass) $1.81

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/145-xx.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Measure your fittings before ordering, though. There are two different sizes, and I can't remember which one's I bought. I have two different bags of fittings sitting in my toolbox. I was replacing all the lines on 2 gas gennies, too, so I don't remember what was what size.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks