• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Gauges inoperative

grannygearGA

Hello everyone. I picked up an MEP-002A w/ASK last week at Warner Robbins AFB (overpaid a bit, but I wanted the ASK, darnit).

I did a little minor maintenance on it (cleaned fuel system, replaced batteries, etc.) and fired her up. A couple seconds of black smoke and then it was running strong and clean.

But, my frequency, current, and voltmeter don't register anything. I plugged a drill into the convenience port and it ran just fine, so I know I'm getting output. I don't see any disconnected wiring in the panel. (I did see the frequency meter twitch when I shut it down). Any ideas?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. An electric drill will run on anything... AC or DC - high or low voltage! Most thinking is: don't trust the convienience port for anything. The best thing you can do, if your going to have one of these, is to get yourself the best AD/DC clampmeter you can afford. Make sure it also has the ability to check Hertz! Then start doing your checking, straight from the output terminal lugs.

There will probably be others that will chip in here, that have far more experience than I.

n1oty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a similar problem with mine initially that simply turned out to be a sticking AC Reconnect Switch (s8 on the schematic). A couple of drops of lubricant on the mechanism and some rotating of the knob with the generator shut down thoroughly cured it for me. I can see a couple of other possible trouble points on the schematic, but check that switch first.

John

jbk

one of mine did this. the only meter that worked was the dc charging. it turned out to be the ground strap underneth the control panel box. the aluminum oxidized badly, cleaned it up.

grannygearGA

Great. I'll check S8 and cross my fingers.

I'll also stick a multimeter on the convenience outlet (since they're so...convenient) and verify that output. And, I've got a Fluke clamp-on that ought to help out, too.

coyote62ny

check all the ground straps one on the control panel one on the engine mount by the blower shroud also check the connections on the ground lug look the set over there are more ground straps i just cant think where they all are i cleaned all the grounds on my 003 and put no-ox on all the connections

grannygearGA

Thanks for the help everyone. I checked the ground strap and put a little light lube on S8. I fired it up again, and broke out my multimeter to do some serious voltage and frequency testing.

It turns out that the root of the problem was that when it was decommissioned, the throttle was cranked all the way down, and the frequency (and I think voltage - forgot to check that gauge) was so low that it wasn't registering at all (< 55 hz, 99V @ the 120 terminal). I turned up the throttle until the frequency was right on 60.0 +/- 0.1 and tuned the voltage. I seem to get good 120 and 240 voltage from the terminals.

I think that my unit is good to go. I changed the oil and closed up the ASK and will be transporting it to north GA next week to power my shed.

coyote62ny

one thing you dont want to forget is never idle or run the engine below 60 hertz or you will blow the ac voltage regulator . also get the tech manuals they will be a great help in keeping the set working and you will have all the test info and wiring diagrams

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks