• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a gen set questions?

dyno556

Hello everyone
could anyone tell me about this gen set ?

I have just acquired one in a trade . its label as being made in 1989 and has 419 hours on the meter.

it starts and runs great

how do I get power to the posts on the top?

thanks for any information.

Jesse

Carl_in_NH

There are TMs on this site for the MEP-002A. You need to start with the operators manual. Use the resources tab at the top of the page to go to the TM section and start downloading.

If you're not getting AC power from the outlet on the front of the genset, it's likely you'll need to manually 'flash' the field. That's done by turning the operating switch to the start position once you've already started the genset and brought it up to speed.

There's also a 're-connect' switch that configures the genset for various output voltages and phase count. Again, the manual tells all.

I almost forgot - welcome to the site!

Boatcarpenter

Jesse,
You have to be carefull how you go about switching to different power outputs, idleing the unit, etc. I strongly suggest getting the following TM's for the unit and reading them carefully. Good troubleshooting in them and operating instructions etc.
TM 5-6115-584-24P
TM 5-6115-584-34
TM 5-6115-584-12
I think they are on site in the Technical Manuals Section under the resources tab at the top of the page.
They are a nice unit and if treated properly will give you great service.
Good luck,
BC

dyno556

okay thank you Carl

Ill look for the manual here..

any idea what this thing is worth?

I do have AC power on the plugs in the front, and all the gauges and controls seem to work.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dyno,

These are very robust units and very well build. If it runs good it should easily last you for the rest of your lifetime. To add to what Carl and Boatcarpenter said. DO NOT let these sets Idle! They are intended to get up to speed as soon as you start the set. DO NOT switch the reconnection switch while the set has any load on it. There is a 3 phase breaker right by the 120 volt outlets on the front to turn off and on the voltage to the main lugs.

And a correction to Boatcarpenters post. The newest parts TM for the 002a is TM 9-6115-584-24p.

Welcome aboard, and search the forums some for the MEP-003a and MEP-002a. There are a lot of really good posts here about them, and they will help you out greatly with any questions you may have. If you still have questions or concerns post up and we'll help out any way we can.

Isaac-1

To answer the question on value I watched one with similar hours showing sell As-Is on GL yesterday for right at $1,000, which is inline with other recent auctions, maybe a little higher than average, known good running units seem to sell for $1,500 and up, and they often have asking prices of over $2,000 on ebay.

Ike

dyno556

Hi everyone
just thought I would update.

I finally got back to messing with this genset. everything seems to be working fine on it. Running the 240/120 line runs all my house stuff great