• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002A governor linkage broken.

RWG421

I ended up with a broken linkage while adjusting the fuel shut off solenoid.
Any ideas on a fix, a new ball? Joint & ball assembly?

Or do I have to find
2990-01-049-0578 BALL JOINT EA 1
LK859 01843
150-0939

Additionally is the shut-off solenoid energized when the master switch is on Prime and Run or dose it retract during the starting cycle?

The reason for my question is that I had a hard time starting unless I manually manipulated the plunger during start up. Ran fine and shut off fine, but I still had to "coach" the linkage during start up.

I thought to adjust plunger but,
Here is my damage

Attachments

Keith_J

You have a sluggish control collar. You can fill the pump with B12 Chem Tool and work the control lever until it freely moves from stop to peg(limit stop). It should "click" at each stop. Any sticking is bad. Be sure to blow out the B12 and prime with clean fuel.

The stop solenoid should be retracted with the master on. It is energized through the DC circuit breaker.

RWG421

When I turn the master on / off ( engine not running) I see no movement of the plunger, but yet when i have the unit running ( Runs smooth and clean) and I shut off the master the unit stops. So assume the plunger is working?

Can you expand on the sluggish control collar/ fix.

Thanks

Keith_J

Test for voltage. That will show intent of the stop solenoid, voltage there means fuel can get to the injectors.

Injection pumps are built with tiny clearances, diesel engines that aren't run often can varnish the internals, in this IP, that can cause sticky operation. Since the power control lever is directly moved by the governor/springs, any drag will reduce power or make control impossible.

Seen it on Deuces, not surprisingly, Ambac is the company that made those injection pumps 2cents. Yes, American Bosch became Ambac.

Since your gov linkage is broke, testing is easy. Just pull the stop plunger up and move the lever. It should move freely, falling due to its own weight with a "clank".

RWG421

Dose the extra weight affect the operation of the injector pump ? I'am thinking of going metal also, but I'am wondering why they put a plastic socket for the ball in the fist place.

Here is my fix , it is in stock a car-quest for $10.00.

Attachments

Heavyopp

If I leave my throttle control knob out when shutting down upon my next start I have to fondle the throttle linkage as you describe. I have 2 002a's and it happens on both machines. Something binds in the linkage unless the throttle knob is pushed all the way in. I must start with the throttle at idle and then immediately crank up the throttle to 60 hertz.

Some guys say they leave their machines set at 60 hertz and shut down and start up from there. It doesn't work on either of my 2 MEP's that way.

Sounds like you have one that acts the same.

RWG421

Thanks, That gives me peace of mind ( Not a bag injector,pump,ect.....)When I was was ruining Dozer's, backhoes, etc.. was always had an idle cool down before shut off. Is there and issue with oil circulation issue on the Mep-002a during idle. I can't seem to find it in the TM.

Carl_in_NH

RWG421: It's not an oil issue - it's an electrical issue with the regulator; it will pop the output transistor if you idle the set. Don't do it - bring it right to speed and shut it right down. TMs and PS Magazine talk about this issue.

I don't understand why you've got binding in the linkages - it shouldn't do that.

RWG421

That, makes sense. Is there a good link you know of for a searchable PM magazine data base?

As for my linkage, I will be giving the injector pump it's B12, Possibly sticky from the the long storage period .

As far as I can tell from the paper work I got with this unit , it has been in "preservation" since 1983. At least that is the dates on all the tags & paper work.

Hopefully my modification to the Heim joint ( Added weight) doesn't cause any issue..We will see.
Thanks again all for the feedback.

Attachments

Heavyopp

I even made the hole a little bigger where the linkage passed thru the sheet metal. Didn't help with the binding of the linkage.

I run the set at full throttle for cooldown just no load. Then as I'm ready to shut down I push the throttle in and shut down the set as it's idling down. It never actually runs at idle speeds upon shutdown.

At startup As soon as I get a running engine I start cranking on that throttle to bring it up to 60 htz in a hurry.

Keith_J

Good call on keeping the engine speed near 1800 RPM because the injection pump has fixed timing, unlike automotive diesels with centrifugal or better adjustable timing. With fixed timing, injection is optimized for one speed range. Running it at slower speed makes injection too advanced for lower speed.

The delay from injection to ignition is based on the fuel's cetane index and varying conditions, it is about constant for the range of engine speeds. At higher speeds, the crank rotation during this delay is smaller, meaning less stress on the engine.

Don't feel you are torturing the engine by running it at 1800 RPM out of the gate, that is the design of this engine.2cents

ETN550

When I turn the master on / off ( engine not running) I see no movement of the plunger, but yet when i have the unit running ( Runs smooth and clean) and I shut off the master the unit stops. So assume the plunger is working?

Can you expand on the sluggish control collar/ fix.

Thanks
Kind of what one of my 016B's was doing. There was a bad connection (at the solenoid for me) and it would not pull back to start but due to vibration made a connection when running and shutdown ok. Turn the switch to run and shake and tug on the wiring. Then do it while running and each time listen for the plunger and see if the plunger moves. When running mine was fine for a few hours then next day the plunger was slapping the fuel lever due to the wiring connection problem. The 016 also has a relay in the panel and a low fuel switch in the tank. Both must work. Again vibration could make those components work or not as well. The good news is that there is not a whole lot it can be. Mine also had a repair to the wire where it must have rubbed on the frame. Just some ideas.

BTW you can always temporarily wire the solenoid open and push the fuel lever manually by hand to shut it down in a pinch. Just remember none of the safetys will stop it so babysit it some.

Otherwise you have to dig out the wiring diagrams and trace it out. If you switch it on and the plunger does not move you should be able to follow the wiring. Don't forget the ground side of the solenoid either. It is also suspect.

jjayala

Dose the extra weight affect the operation of the injector pump ? I'am thinking of going metal also, but I'am wondering why they put a plastic socket for the ball in the fist place.

Here is my fix , it is in stock a car-quest for $10.00.

Once you changed for the metal style, were you able to adjust and get it to idle correctly?

RWG421

Once you changed for the metal style, were you able to adjust and get it to idle correctly?
Yes, it runs like a champ. Idle adjusts fine, and holds steady. Responds to load and holds firm. ( No RPM roll)

I'm not sure why the originals were plastic ( Maybe so you could pop off and on linkage easily ??)

Maybe greater minds than mine have an answerer.

Hope the fix works for you also.

reset2

Just got my MEP002a running this evening. I also found a broken governor link after running it once. It looks like someone before me (in Military) used a wire to hold it together at the ball. It broke completely once it got cycled several times with the solenoid.