• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-002a Hard start, prolonged cranking

Shayno

I have a Mep-002a that is hard to start. It doesnt take very long for the generator to fire but requires alot of cranking before it stays running. Fires and dies. Fires sputters and dies. Fires and runs slow for two or 3 second. It will gradually get better until all of a sudden it just takes off. It might take 6 to 8 tries to start, sometimes more. Doesn't matter much if its cold or warm out. Not a whole lot better even after its been ran very recently. I've replaced filters with spin on canisters, replaced fuel lines, and fuel check valve with no noticeable difference. Ive also tried switching fuel pumps but that hasn't helped. I haven't noticed any fuel leaks from the injector pump to the injectors. The fuel shut off solenoid lifts properly,too. Ive tried starting it at different throttle levels also, starts better when you set it low and pull throttle out once it start running. Doesn't seem to have any lack of power once running and doesnt smoke.

Would dirty injectors produce these kind of symptoms ?

Has anyone ever tried running the generators solely on diesel injector cleaner like Luqui Moly Diesel Purge?

http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/diy-diesel-injector-service/
I know VW tdi's have really good results with it.

Isaac-1

My bet is injectors, either clogged or just out of adjustment, could also be low compression due to worn rings or valves out of adjustment. If your starter is weak that could also be part of the issue.

Ike

jamawieb

Are you cranking until oil pressure come up? If not it will shut off when you release the starter.
I agree, it sounds like your not holding the start long enough. If you are holding for sufficient time, then it's going to be injectors. Have you put a good load on the generator to what how much it will hold? It you can't reach over 100% than it's going to be the injectors.

Munchies

Start here with info from this thread
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...r-smoking-on-start-up/page3&highlight=Linkage
MAKE SURE the throttle arm is going all the way up. Many times.. More often often than not in my experience, there is a linkage issue and it must be set properly and visually inspected UP CLOSE to make sure it is going ALL THE WAY UP, not just 'up'.

Verify your GP's are heating.

After that, injectors, try again, after that if no help check compression.

Thats pretty much the guide on hard starting 002/003s. Start cheap and simple then work up to more complicated and more $$.

Shayno

Thanks for all the quick responses. I dont think the glowplugs/ preheater are the problems because it started the same this summer. I dont know if the glowplugs are working but i do know the preheaters are getting hot. I usually cycle them for 30-60 seconds before cranking . The linkage is lifting fully, i always check that by hand. I can hold the starter for 20 seconds with it sputtering same results as if i crank in intervals for 5-10 second, stop and repeat. Starter seams very strong, no hesitation, turns over fast(same as other MEP i had without starting issues). I replaced the oil pressure switch when i first got it. I've also tried jumpering the solenoid to over ride the oil pressure switch and high temp switch to see if there was any difference. Ive only put 30% load on the generator, i know that really isn't that much for how heavily built these generators are. Could it have partially clogged injectors and still not be noticeable once running and under 30% load? The generator only has about 200 hours on it (i know the hour meter could have been replaced) but seems to be correct judging from the condition of the generator and hour meter. Also, no evidence of the hour meter screws being changed. I do get white smoke during the entire starting process.

So after reading over all the suggestions, i think its most likely dirty injectors or valves/compression.

thanks again

Jimc

i dont think you mentioned it but is this a new to you generator that has always been this way since you got it or something that just started suddenly?

Hello and how is everyone. I am having the same problem with an 002 that I have. I replaced the engine on a dead 002 with one that came out of a Kuwaitt repair facility. I crank the engine untill it reaches 30 psi, then preheat for 1 minute. Engine starts really hard sputters dies and then I have to crank it again untill it's running. Usually have to repeat this procedure several times. I want to time the pump with the pin method and then check the valve lash. I think (leaning to) I may need to replace the injectors. so 1- what is the onan number for the valve cover if someone knows. 2- where is a good place I can send my injectors to so they can be rebuilt. (someone who knows the compatability of civillian to military engines) 3- Is there a Onan civillian manual that I can get part numbers that will match the military engines. Thanks metalworker393

1800 Diesel

Hello and how is everyone. I am having the same problem with an 002 that I have. I replaced the engine on a dead 002 with one that came out of a Kuwaitt repair facility. I crank the engine untill it reaches 30 psi, then preheat for 1 minute. Engine starts really hard sputters dies and then I have to crank it again untill it's running. Usually have to repeat this procedure several times. I want to time the pump with the pin method and then check the valve lash. I think (leaning to) I may need to replace the injectors. so 1- what is the onan number for the valve cover if someone knows. 2- where is a good place I can send my injectors to so they can be rebuilt. (someone who knows the compatability of civillian to military engines) 3- Is there a Onan civillian manual that I can get part numbers that will match the military engines. Thanks metalworker393
Verify no air in fuel system; if air found, bleed system. Pre-heat first for 45 seconds, then crank until engine starts and oil pressure comes up, then release start switch. If you need injector service, pm to storeman....(Jerry).

Kevin

How are you diesel, yeah there is definetly air getting to it. I even went as far as pulling the rubber hose off between the air filter cannister and the intake manifold. could feel the air getting sucked in, and the air side glow plugs "were a glowin"

1800 Diesel

How are you diesel, yeah there is definetly air getting to it. I even went as far as pulling the rubber hose off between the air filter cannister and the intake manifold. could feel the air getting sucked in, and the air side glow plugs "were a glowin"
On the air comment, what I meant was that you need to verify that there is no air in the fuel system. If so, the air needs to be bled out so that "solid fuel" (with no air bubbles) is getting through the filters & to the injection pump (IP). Once that is done, then follow above steps (#11 post) for starting.

Kevin

storeman

No need to "crank the engine untill it reaches 30 psi, then preheat for 1 minute". Do the pre-heat before cranking. Are the cylinder glow plugs heating?
I do injector service. E-mail me from link below if you need me. If you download the -34 and -24 from Speddmon's sticky post at top of forum, there is a cross walk to civ part numbers but it takes some reading to understand the codes.
Jerry

Last edited:

Jimc

in the -24 manual most of the onan part #'s are right in there. some are not current and have been updated but a quick google search of the # usually will tell you. for specific parts you have trouble finding or #'s then between most of us here we know where to get mostly everything. check the wiki as well. alot of part #'s there as well as places to get them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks