• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a hard to crank then does not run right

roofconsult

Thank you all. I'll start with compression and valve clearances. I had thought about a ring also, but can't figure out why it runs differently through its cycle then dies and won't start back up.
Another thing I thought of a little while ago is the possibility of dirt daubers clogging the exhaust. Gonna check that too.

Guyfang

Staff member
Do you have positive pressure on the oil system? If you have a broken or stuck ring, compression will be forced down through the cylinder in to the oil pan. If you pull the dipstick you can hold a small piece of paper over the dipstick tube, to soo is you are getting back pressure. You have checked the glow plugs, how about the manafold heater?

roofconsult

Well, I have never had any luck with any type of fluid fixing anything, and this is no exception. I wanted to try the SeaFoam straight into the IP, but even if I filled the downstream filter with it, most of it would be returned to the tank with only a little bit going to the IP. So I drained the entire fuel system; filters, lines and tank. Put in a can of SeaFoam, but it would not nearly get to the bottom of the pick-up tube in the tank. So I put in 2 more cans and had to add a couple quarts of diesel to get the level to the pick-up tube. Primed everything and cranked it. It did the same thing it has been doing, so I let it sit overnight. I had also adjusted the valves, one was a little loose by about .003".
Cranked it again and it did the same thing; smoked, ran for a while then slowly died. But while it was running I pulled the dipstick and it spit out a healthy dose of oil and vapor. So I'm pretty sure I have a broken or stuck ring. So I took a piece of the shroud off, hotwired the high temp cut-out switch and ran it for a few minutes allowing the temperature to get a little hotter than normal, hoping to loosen a ring. Then let it cool, put the shroud back on and tried again. No such luck, it ran exactly the same.
So I found a sweet deal on a newly rebuilt complete engine that one of our members was selling. It is now on the way.
I'll get around to tearing this one down and fixing it, or I may just keep it for parts.
I guess I let it sit too long between exercising it, which is too bad that I now have a useless engine with less than 30 hours on it.
:mad::sad:

Guyfang

Staff member
Slow down. What you have, after you install the new engine, is the basis of a rebuilt engine. A bad ring is not the end of the world. Fix it. Or get it fixed. You can always sell it.

Do yourself a favor. Get the -34 manual out beforehand, well beforehand, and get smart on how to change the engine. Two people, overhead lift, tools laid out, rags and what not ready, this is a couple hours job. But if you have never done this sort of thing, get read up on it.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be worth pulling it apart. If you find a stuck ring or something simple like that the fix will not be expensive. Just some time and a gasket set.

Hopefully you don't have a cracked piston or scarred up cylinder.

roofconsult

Yes, I think y'all are right, it should be worth fixing if no damage to piston or cylinder.
I just figured it would be a good idea to get it up and running before hurricane season and it would not hurt to have a spare sitting around anyway.
A gasket set and rings will cost nearly as much as I bought the new motor for.
Thanks again for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks