• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a: Hollingsworth, Libby, Fermont

Paul Lohr

Hello,
Am I correct that the three manufacturers of the MEP-002a include Hollingsworth, Libby and Fermont?
Are all three decent quality machines?
Are parts generally available for all three?
Are any of the three more preferable than the others?

Thank you for any help.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Hollingsworth and Libby are the contractors for those sets. Libby continued on and into the 80x series, but was replaced by DRS Fermont.

All are high quality machines, built to a specification. The only main differentiator, I believe, was some of the early models used an injection pump that has no support (American Bosch was the manufacturer on it). The later units had a pump from Ambac... which parts are still available.

Just starting to look or you have your eyes on something in particular?

Paul Lohr

Thank you for your help. Thanks also for your quick response.

Is it known what production date ended the American Bosch pumps?

There is a company in Decatur, TN that sells MEP-002a units on a trailer for $2300. I’m interested in your thoughts on these.

jamawieb

There is a company in Decatur, TN that sells MEP-002a units on a trailer for $2300. I’m interested in your thoughts on these.

I'm over in west Tn and can help you with a 002a. I have 2 in stock but not ready, I need to replace the motor in one (the sheriffs department I got it from pointed the exhaust up and the engine collected water) and then the other is my personal unit that I'm going to have to upgrade to a 003a because I'm adding on to my house and doubling the size. I should have one ready in the next 30 days. I also have a 802a with 400 hours that should be ready in the next 2 weeks for $2900.

Chainbreaker

The one you linked the ad for is a Libby and is a 1991 which was the last year of production with fairly low hours at 1,571. However, that does not mean that the hour meter is "original" as they do get changed out but it "appears" original due to meter model and typical patina on bezel & screws. Everything appears to be complete on the generator unit itself.

However, the wording in the listing is not matching some of the pictures... it says that unit is "mounted on a newer style Humvee Trailer" which is incorrect. The pictures show it mounted on a M116a2 trailer which is what they were originally deployed with for that year model generator. The statement in the ad stating: "Government reports unit was working when last used. All fluids have been removed and we do not test. We are selling for parts only" is a bit concerning. That means the unit could have been sitting for X years (pick a number up to 28 years assuming it was run in ~1992). Although, they do offer that you can bring your own mechanic with batteries, oil and diesel fuel and try to start it. But... I personally would not do that as you run the risk of damaging the injection pump if it has a stuck plunger guide etc. The unit needs to be completely serviced and inspected closely first before attempting an out of mothballs restart. Even if it were to start, you still need to verify that it produces proper AC output and can take a sustained load of 5kW+ for an hour or so. They offer to do that much as to get it running but don't mention load testing & that service does not include any potentially necessary replacement parts that might be required. So adding on the "get it started" fee adds $1,000 bringing it up to $3,300 total price! Otherwise, you must assume genset will not run or produce AC output without some work/parts and trailer may have issues as well (it is definitely missing the rear swing down stabilization leg).

You should be able to get a tested and running unit somewhere in the ball park pricing of ~ $2500 +/- $500 depending on geographical location/condition etc. A "Parts only" unit pricing for trailer and generator would be more like in the $1500 range (I purchased a parts only 1991 Libby MEP-002a on trailer for $900 2 yrs ago).

Knowing of members like "Jamawieb", or "Light in the Dark" if he had one in stock, I personally would feel more confident purchasing one that has been serviced and checked out by a SS member as good to go! It can save you time $ and frustration.

However with all that said...If you have the time and are electro/mechanically inclined and can source any required parts that need replacing and could negotiate a better price then you might end up with a good deal. MEP-002/-003's are solid machines when maintained properly but certain parts are becoming a bit scarce!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do happen to have one here, but I know Jimmy is a lot closer than I so he wouldn't need to mess with freight. Thanks for the vote of confidence though Chainbreaker!

I will brag a bit on the 002 I have here... it was hidden away in a conex box... repainted in 06, only 5 shown hours! Had a small fuel leak at a filter, and the hertz gauge was DOA... but both were fixed and it should find a good home somewhere!

20201127_152905.jpg
20201127_152910.jpg
20201127_152918.jpg
20201127_152925.jpg
20201127_152933.jpg
20201127_152940.jpg

Chainbreaker

Wow LITD, that is pretty pristine '86 vintage unit!

Non-faded placards, schematics and control panel with pristine looking wiring harness is quite rare. Even has the inspection stamp on the mfg's placard. Looks like there was some leakage out of fuel cannisters but that should clean up nicely. A couple rust areas where the brittle CARC paint peeled off but an easy touch up.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah it was a simple leak at the hex nut on top... just wasn't properly torqued down! Its a real clean unit, and that small panel can totally be taken off easily and dealt with with a rattle can and some prep. I just dont get involved with CARC unless I absolutely have to.

Ray70

Agree with Chainbreaker. Absolutely do not pay $2300 for an unknown machine and by no means attempt to just start it yourself on-site.
There are plenty of fully tested machines that are done and ready to go with way less hours for less money!
All done and tested and serviced that sounds like a $2000 machine to me.
Sound to be worth about $600-$1000 tops in my opinion as a "Parts" machine.

quartermeter

Thanks a lot, guys. This really helps. The nearest 002a that has been gone through is 5 hours away. Proximity is an issue right now.
Paul I may be able to help. If u work payment out with Jimmy/Jamawieb. I’m picking up my machine from Jimmy in a week. I’m in Pulaski Tn. I can bring the 002 with me. U can pick in Pulaski or Huntsville Al. Huntsville is 3 1/2 hours from Knoxville. Call me 931-993-7768 Jim
Thanks a lot, guys. This really helps. The nearest 002a that has been gone through is 5 hours away. Proximity is an issue right now.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Paul I may be able to help. If u work payment out with Jimmy/Jamawieb. I’m picking up my machine from Jimmy in a week. I’m in Pulaski Tn. I can bring the 002 with me. U can pick in Pulaski or Huntsville Al. Huntsville is 3 1/2 hours from Knoxville. Call me 931-993-7768 Jim
Great thinking!

Guyfang

Staff member
If anyone ever tells you that this forum ist worth a hill of beans, just point them to this thread. This is what its all about. People helping people.

quartermeter

If anyone ever tells you that this forum ist worth a hill of beans, just point them to this thread. This is what its all about. People helping people.
Anyone have Paul’s phone number? I’ll call him. I need to know something ASAP because I could probably pick my Generator up on Monday. If anyone does text it to me my phone numbers above

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have received help from numerous SS users over the years outside of the forum (the most recent was @WWRD99 helping me with a genset in Chambersburg, and @funky winkerbean retrieving a genset all the way in Maryland). Great place this is.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks