• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a low output current

jrcampbe

Ok, I stripped the plug off an extension cord and hooked it across L0 and L3, then L0 and L1. Same results:

120.2 V before turning on load.

Turn on 5hp shop vac, drop momentarily to about 110V, then recovered quickly to stabilize at 118.5 volts. Low power on vacuum suction. Added halogen shop light. No noticeable voltage drop, shop light dim.

Thank you for helping me...

Jim

glassk

I'm wondering if you have a bad connection at or near terminal 6 of the reconnect switch. That becomes the neutral, L0, and if that were floating around, you'd always have 240 from L1 to L3, but trying to draw a 120 load would shove L0 (neutral) off center and you'd get less than 120 on that side, and more than 120 on the side without the load.
You know with the first post he said a short, that could have made an Open Delta set up, a long shot at best .

Volts there but current phase shift like you say would push it down,...

dependable

Am not an electrical expert like some others here. My first MEP-002 had a stuck reconnection switch which turned out to be a good thing. In the process of fixing that I found that one of the main T leads had rattled off switch and a few other screws were loose. Something like that has potential to cause the problems you are having and could also fry the gen head.

Triple Jim

Ok, I stripped the plug off an extension cord and hooked it across L0 and L3, then L0 and L1. Same results:

120.2 V before turning on load.

Turn on 5hp shop vac, drop momentarily to about 110V, then recovered quickly to stabilize at 118.5 volts. Low power on vacuum suction. Added halogen shop light. No noticeable voltage drop, shop light dim.

Thank you for helping me...

Jim
It sounds like you have no problem at all. It is perfectly normal for a fairly large load like a big shop vac to drop the output voltage from 120.2 to 118.5. This is backed up by the fact that the shop light didn't cause the voltage to drop noticeably more. If you were working in direct sunlight, maybe that made the light seem dim. Maybe your shop vac's filter is clogged. I'm not trying to be silly here... it seems that you have good power at the generator.

jrcampbe

Well, I think you may be right, and perhaps I mistakenly concluded the service outlets weren't putting out much current. I took apart the transfer switch at the house and found something that looked like it could cause a bad connection on one of the hot legs. I soldered it with a little torch and I seem to be running my well pump, refrigerators and freezers now.

Whoever set up this transfer switch (I'm renting this house) apparently didn't feel the need to connect any outlets except for in the mechanical room.

Anyhow, thank you to all of you. You were a big help in sorting all this out even if it didn't turn out to be the generator.

Thanks again, you guys are great.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks