• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A/M116A2 Recovery

fireman5199

I picked my 1992 MEP-002A mounted on a M116A2 from Mechanicsburg today. Process at the base went great. They set it right on my hitch with the forklift and a signature, walk around inspection and some lights I'm off.

About 20 minutes down the road I decide to pull in to a rest stop and check things over. This is when I get a bright idea (not saying my bright ideas are always good ones). I figure if I roll the front and back of the cover up it will lessen the load on my truck. While rolling the tarps I smell a smell similar to brake but wishfully decide it's the semi beside me. Off we go again.

So now about 10 minutes later I notice the tarp has begun to desintigrate. Shoulda taken all the way off the seems thread dry rotted. Shoulda have known but tried to get by. Pull off avoid taking out pedistrian with flapping tarp side. Start taking off the cover and there is that smell again now accompanied by smoke from the passenger side wheel. Brake dragging. Finish tarp tap on brake with hammer left in tool box on trailer, back it around the lot some and off we go. Rest of the trip home uneventful except for drivers that were so interested in my newest acquisiton they had to try to read the 5,357 hours on the meter.

I get it home first thing find any goodies. Open tool box I got 6 grounding rods with screw on ends with bolts for driving them, ground wire, sledge hammer, another thingy with handles and the jerry can set up along with 2 more long fuel lines and 6 other things I have no clue what they are yet.

Ok now onto the mechanical checklist. Fuel tank next sediment in the bottom. Oil, full of oil. Turn bleeder valves on the filters fuel comes out smells like varnish. So it looks like I got some clean up work to do.

In the first pic is the items I'm not sure what they are. The one with the red handle I assume is for pulling the ground rods out. The other thing no clue. The second pic is inside the fuel tank.

Attachments

Last edited:

Keith_J

The red handled thing is the slide hammer, both for driving and removing ground rods. The other thing is something for the trailer.

That fuel tank is nasty, it will only continue to corrode so a good cleaning and sealing (POR kit recommended) is a must. Also cleaning all 3 fuel pumps, fuel strainer and filters next.

joesco

Just hope your IP is not seized up. Make sure you clean, clean, clean the tank, pumps, lines and replace all the filters before attempting to start him. Good luck and be sure to make good use of the search engine on this forum as you it will yield you lots of time-saving information!

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks clean, you have a generator there to be proud of.[thumbzup]

Let me know if you want to make it quiet, I have gone the gambit with the MEP and have a good system down to get that unit to about 20 of the current decibel level.

Keith_J

Let me know if you want to make it quiet, I have gone the gambit with the MEP and have a good system down to get that unit to about 20 of the current decibel level.
This sounds :oops:INTERESTING. I was planning to make my own ASK, using fiberglass-laminated plywood to make a box cover. Draw air from the control panel area, allow plenty of area around the blower wheel and carry the exhaust air out. This should keep the electrical side cool.

The box will have a door for the control panel, total weight will be under 30 pounds so it can be easily removed for service, unlike the aluminum ASK.

rickf

You will find that Xylene is fantastic for cutting gunk in the fuel system. Xylene, parts cleaning brush, nitrile gloves and a pan of some sort and start scrubbing.

Rick

P.S. Do the cleaning outside, Xylene is very flammable and not at all good to breath.

rickf

I would be interested in that info.:)

Rick

fireman5199

Thanks...Just gotta get the fuel system cleaned up. It's got the ASK already is there more that can be done??? I would like to get it as quiet as possible.

derf

I think if you continue to pull the trailer at that angle you will have ongoing brake dragging issues. It should be about level, IMO. Otherwise very nice acquisition.

fireman5199

Thanks, Derf. I was planning on borrowing a full size for the recovery but that fell through...I dont plan on towing it very much then only about 15 -20 miles at most. I will probably look for a different hitch to set it up higher.

derf

The surge brakes work best when the rig is level. I learned the hard way, towing with my Tacoma.

jbk

if the master cylinder is bad you will have problems. if you put a 3 in. bolt through the surge brake head it will disable the brake. theirs a hole there for this.

fireman5199

I'm not sure if they're working, I have to check them. The master cylinder is full of fluid but I didn't feel they were working right towing it. I found the hole too but can't see to the other side. Next on the list after I get it running.

I was thinking about the taller hitch maybe a deuce or M1008/9 would qualify as buying a taller hitch to the little lady. Of course the reaction I got when she got home was OMFG. I told her it was bigger than a box store genny.

Last edited:

jbk

i use this hitch to pull level with my 1/2 ton truck. the top hich will pull level with the 116 and both pieces for the 103. the other photos show the hole on both sides to lock out the brakes just run your bolt through.the break away lever on top has a hole that has to line up also.

Attachments

Last edited:

fireman5199

Just to be clear. For the 116 you would use the hitch straight out of the top reciever tube? And is that set-up homemade?

On the other front I busted my rear today and got the fuel system cleaned up and the batteries in. Once I closed the drain on the one fuel filter it started up on the third try. Had to flash the field then the meters came up. So far so good. Still going to get the POR Kit for the tank. Now off to work on fixing the cover.

jbk

yes, the top piece with the adjustable plate is available ebay or any trailer place. the adapter on the bottom came from hf i did some mods. to it, welded a collar on the top tube. those covers are hard to find.

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This sounds :oops:INTERESTING. I was planning to make my own ASK, using fiberglass-laminated plywood to make a box cover. Draw air from the control panel area, allow plenty of area around the blower wheel and carry the exhaust air out. This should keep the electrical side cool.

The box will have a door for the control panel, total weight will be under 30 pounds so it can be easily removed for service, unlike the aluminum ASK.
Hello Keith, The ask/box shield is good but what I am talking about is the intake and exhaust air, on the MEP thats 80% of the noise I am guessing. The exhaust is easy to re pipe and add a muffler the intake should also be piped to a intake damper. This does not effect the operation nor does it harm the unit. Just a PITA for maintenance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks