• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A overcharging

dangier

Noticed my 002a's are overcharging the 24 volt batteries (battery meter in high red). I have been using two 12 volt lawnmower batteries in the interim until I decide what batteries I want to use (redo base with two standard batteries or go for the special ones). The lawnmower batteries spin the units over well. Read the TM battery charging checkout procedures but, I don't have a 200 watt, 12 ohm resister handy. Checked battery voltage when running and I have 33-34 volts @4 amps charge rate. I am looking for 28-29 volts. I am thinking 33-34 too high? Looked over the wiring for the 12v system and everything looks ok.
Does the failing of the charge controller cause high charge voltage? Is the CCA (275 amps each) on the lawn mower batteries too low (if it makes a difference)?
I hooked up booster cables to another set of batteries while running and the battery meter reduces into the green zone and behaves itself. This is putting a load on the charging system and drops the voltage. Will this eventually wind up in the red zone too?
David

Triple Jim

I am thinking 33-34 too high?
Yes, that's too high.

Does the failing of the charge controller cause high charge voltage?
It can fail either way, so yes, it can cause high charge voltage.

Is the CCA (275 amps each) on the lawn mower batteries too low (if it makes a difference)?
If the regulator were working properly, it would not matter the battery rating, the charge voltage should be maintained correctly.

I hooked up booster cables to another set of batteries while running and the battery meter reduces into the green zone and behaves itself. This is putting a load on the charging system and drops the voltage. Will this eventually wind up in the red zone too?
Yes, it probably will.

dangier

Grega,
Thanks for the link. I had seen the post a while ago.
Think I am going to take the grounds apart just to double check everything around the charging system. Just kind of funny that both units start overcharging like that.

johnray13

Are you using four different batteries for you 002's or are you sharing two batteries between the two gen sets?

I don't think your chargers are bad, I think your batteries are sulfated, indicating a false high voltage which the meter shows. This is very common in sulfated lead acid batteries.

There are several ways to determine this. But since these batteries are temporary, I would just buy the new ones and I bet the high voltage readings go away.

John

dangier

johnray13-Batteries are of 03/2013 vintage. Bought one set (2) them to shift around between the sets until I figure out what they need. Then I found out they really spin the 002 pretty well. They fit in the original battery bases with a little height adjustment-I may keep them. At $28 apiece, I can replace every couple of years and hand them down to the lawn equipment for a couple of years.

dangier

Update-Storeman furnished two DCVR's and installed one yesterday. Run other 002 last night and had an intermittent overcharge so replaced that one too. Both 002's charging as needed instead of overcharging. Thanks Storeman.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks