• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 002a ?'s

bc35339

Im just got a mep002a and would like to get a coulpe ?'s answered.
Genset will not start, only puffs out smoke like it is getting fuel and no spark. (if I spray it with alittle starting fluid it fires right up.)
Why wont it start and what do I need to do to fix at and If needed where can I get the parts I need?
Onec started puld on front works great But no power on the big side lugs.
What do I need to do to get power on the 3 phase lugs?
Thanks
Bryan

Carl_in_NH

Your starting issue is likely glowplugs that have failed. They are less than $20 each - and you'll need two of them. These engines will not start well without the plugs working. Do a search on the forum to find ready sources of glowplugs.

Check the 're-connection' switch position, and the main breaker for your power problem. The TM has good troubleshooting information for this type of problem.

bc35339

I checked the cassified adds and couldnt find any glow plugs for this, If you know someone with some for sale let me know. Can I go to my local auto supply stor and buy them if so what do I ask for?

When you say up to speed do you mean wide open? Is it made to be ran at full throttle?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im just got a mep002a and would like to get a coulpe ?'s answered.
Genset will not start, only puffs out smoke like it is getting fuel and no spark. (if I spray it with alittle starting fluid it fires right up.)
Why wont it start and what do I need to do to fix at and If needed where can I get the parts I need?
Onec started puld on front works great But no power on the big side lugs.
What do I need to do to get power on the 3 phase lugs?
Thanks
Bryan

The starting issue could be glow plugs like Carl mentioned or it could be lack of fuel to the injectors and/or IP. Check your filters and fuel pumps. In spring like weather like we've been having, it will be harder to start, but it should still start.

Also, from the sounds of it, you had better spend some time on here reading posts about the MEP-002a and MEP-003a and reading the TM's. They are essentially the same machine except for the size. If you don't do some reading and familiarize yourself with the operation and quirks of these machines, you're going to have troubles, and may ruin some of the components inside the control boxes.

m38inmaine

Where the fuel line passes by the oil pressure gage there is an elbow with a check valve, had one of these stuck and caused the same problem. Simple blast of compressed air fixed it. You can confirm your fuel flow by unhooking the line at the injector pump, placing it in an empty container and turn on the prime run and check for good fuel flow.

Carl_in_NH

Tom and Mark raise good points. That check valve does have a restriction in it that could easily clog. I keep forgetting about that - but I really shouldn't; my genset had a bad IP, and while troubleshooting it I had the entire fuel system apart to clean and check it. I didn't end up having any low pressure side problems on that particular set.

I raised the possibility of a glow plug problem because I did see that on my 003A; I had bad plugs on #2 and #4, and would get white smoke from both manifolds - while it was trying to fire on #1 and #3. Replacing the plugs made it much easier to start.

Word of advice; those plugs rust into the head and would love to snap off on you. Soak it well and often with Kroil, use a small breaker bar and a deep socket, and work the plug both CCW and CW while trying to remove it. You are using the glow plug like a tap to cut threads in the rust as you back it out. It took the better part of an hour for me to remove each one without breaking them - but that's a lot easier than drilling and tapping the head.

Last edited:

bc35339

I did some trouble shooting yesterday and think ive found my problem.
The preheat selector on the master switch is not working. so i jumpered off the fuse to the 15 wire on the master and it fliped the relay and sent power to the heating/glow plugs.
I think I might use a tractor started button for that unless i can find a master switch cheap.
Thanks for all the advice.
Bryan

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try Delks Army Navy Surplus in NC. They have many parts on hand and the prices are reasonable. doghead just replaced his master switch on his mep-002a recently for $75 and checked to be good before it was shipped to him