• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 002a Starter Issues

Guyfang

Staff member
It's what everyone thought from the beginning, but if you don't follow through with the troubleshooting, you can sometimes make a fool of yourself. Been there, done that!! Strangely enough, its the one switch never looked at. Seems to always work, people forget about it.

dangier

Looks like someone went to town on this one. Flywheel teeth were rounded over and starter teeth were half gone. Wonder how many times they tried to start it?
Lends some credence to Guyfang's follow through with troubleshooting comment.
David

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, People tend to get a little defensive when we ask if they have read the TM but there are really good reasons for that.

Your situation is a really good example why directing people to the manual to follow the troubleshooting guides is so important. Its not laziness on our part.

Guyfang

Staff member
I found this is PS Mag. Lots of good info in the TM's. The troubleshooting does work. The military has spent lots of money developing it, and it is a good guide. It's not perfect, but you have got to start someplace logical. If you hope from one thing to another, its simply wasted time and effort. The first few years in the Army, this wanted poster could have had my picture on it.

Then i got a real Chief Warrant in the unit! He beat me up so often about how wrong I was, because I didnt know what I was talking about. "Back it up boy, back it up with facts! Show me!!" Thank you Chief Cohrs, I will always owe you.

View attachment 779-BC.pdf

Chainbreaker

Good poster! I printed it off as I have an acquaintance who never RTFM! I often have to do some hand holding and point him to the pg in manual where the answer is. Some people just seem to have an aversion to reading I guess... and try to get by with "rote learning".

Triple Jim

Some people just seem to have an aversion to reading I guess... and try to get by with "rote learning".
One guy I worked with was an above average producer and all-around helpful guy, but couldn't read. He was expert at hiding it. Several times I found a catalog page for him when he was trying to tell the boss he needed to order a tool for the shop. I never let him know that I knew though.

Guyfang

Staff member
I am dyslexic. I can read faster then most people. Comprehension is about 97%. BUT, I cant spell. Don't know the difference between a verb and a cow. For years I hid it. Took stuff home to write, Agonized for hours with my dictionary. I hated it. And my dream that was hidden down deep inside, was to write novels. Fat chance. Then came the computer. Its been 30 years now, and my spelling has improved. There is hope, for me! Thank you Bill Gates!!

rustystud

I am dyslexic. I can read faster then most people. Comprehension is about 97%. BUT, I cant spell. Don't know the difference between a verb and a cow. For years I hid it. Took stuff home to write, Agonized for hours with my dictionary. I hated it. And my dream that was hidden down deep inside, was to write novels. Fat chance. Then came the computer. Its been 30 years now, and my spelling has improved. There is hope, for me! Thank you Bill Gates!!
I'm dyslexic too ! Thankfully my mother went to bat for me and got me enrolled in a study at the UW university in the early 1960's. They where able to "rewire" my brain synapses and at the end of the study I was able to read and write ! To bad this information seems to be lost now. My wife was a teacher before she retired and she had never even heard of this study. There was a "special" school program here in Washington that helped dyslexic kids using the same techniques used on me. Sadly they where closed due to funding. It really makes me angry to think that they came up with a reliable cure and now no one even knows about it !

dangier

I worked on Capitol Hill and had an employee that was dyslexic. Didn't know about it until I caught him taking service work orders home for his wife to read to him. He does have a fantastic memory. From then on, I took him in my office and discussed each work order he was assigned. He can go all day from memory. Turned into an excellent mechanic!

Guyfang

Staff member
Most folks do not know what a dyslexic is, just that some folks are dyslexic. Everyone of us has different problems. My youngest, also a dyslexic, has problems reading and writing. I cant spell, or do math. Something else I hid for years. Pocket calculators came along and I have never looked back. One of my german teachers, told me, "Guy, don't worry about HOW the formula works. Just know WHAT formula to apply in the right situation." Once I did that, I started passing my math tests! For me, school was hel*. I failed at almost everything. Teachers told me I was lazy, stupid and dumb. No one ever said anything about dyslexia. I had exactly 3 teachers who cared enough to try and help me. My self esteem was lower than whale crap. Life was not good for me. I am forever thankful I joined the Army. It took a while, but life got better! And now its GOOD!

I was thanking Bill Gates for making the computer dream come true, not spell check.

rustystud

Most folks do not know what a dyslexic is, just that some folks are dyslexic. Everyone of us has different problems. My youngest, also a dyslexic, has problems reading and writing. I cant spell, or do math. Something else I hid for years. Pocket calculators came along and I have never looked back. One of my german teachers, told me, "Guy, don't worry about HOW the formula works. Just know WHAT formula to apply in the right situation." Once I did that, I started passing my math tests! For me, school was hel*. I failed at almost everything. Teachers told me I was lazy, stupid and dumb. No one ever said anything about dyslexia. I had exactly 3 teachers who cared enough to try and help me. My self esteem was lower than whale crap. Life was not good for me. I am forever thankful I joined the Army. It took a while, but life got better! And now its GOOD!

I was thanking Bill Gates for making the computer dream come true, not spell check.
I could not read to save my life. I could do math like a fish in water though ! One of my teachers realized I wasn't stupid since I could do really complicated math problems. She noticed that when it was a reading math problem I always failed. The doctors said I had a "mental block" and couldn't be helped. My mother refused to take that attitude and sought help from the "UW" university here in Seattle. She was already being treated for "MS" at the UW hospital. They didn't call it Multiple Scleroses at that time though. She was able to get me enrolled into a year long study on brain rewiring to help dysfunctional kids. It worked ! I owe my mother so much for not giving up on me like everyone else did. Thankfully she passed away 16 years ago. She's out of pain and with the Lord now along with my father.
It is distressing to hear of kids today that still suffer from "Dyslexia" knowing how I was helped. I guess the "school system" has no need to help these children. Probably because that would take away funding and the teachers union wouldn't like that ! Just my opinion.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well that and the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child".

Now a days parents hardly take interest, or want to be the childs friend instead of teacher.

I am grateful for the wisdom my parents taught me at a young age and wish more folks would "parent".

Guyfang

Staff member
I didnt know I was dyslexic until I was watching my son have problems in school. I was maybe 40. Then the doc talked to us about my sons problems. Said he was dyslexic. So I went to the library and got an arm full of books to get smart on it. My wife found me crying my eyes out when I started reading case histories. All I could do is mumble, "this is me, this me". Then it all fell in place. Not dumb, Not stupid. Not lazy. There was a reason. The doc just shook his head at me and told us "Of course your son inherited from you". The good news is that if kids don't give up, they learn ways to "get around" lots of the problem areas. NEVER GIVE UP. My son is now a Master Metal Worker. He never gave up.

Triple Jim

The good news is that if kids don't give up, they learn ways to "get around" lots of the problem areas.
Definitely true. A good friend of mine is dyslexic, but is also a very talented engineer and programmer who writes complicated computer simulations for the military.

Blazer8750

Well, this thread definitely took a left turn, hahaha.

I just wanted to say thank you all for helping me diagnose my problem. I think. I'll go home tomorrow and try adjusting the S7 and hopefully that will fix it. The power went out again last night and couldn't get my 002A to start. My troubleshooting pointed to the S7, I just didn't know where it was located until reading the TM adjusting procedure. We are supposed to get some rain and ice tonight and tomorrow and where I live power outages are a little more common. So it would be great to have it running when I get home in the morning.

I'll keep ya updated.

And I am super thankful for this site and the wonderful people who are willing to share their knowledge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks