• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A valve timing question

dlsacco

Setting up the valve timing and have a question as the sequence in the manual seems to not match what I'm seeing on the engine. Find the compression stroke on Cylinder 1 (from looking at the fuel plumbing manual this would appear to be the closest to the fan / furthest from the generator head) follow the sequence from Intake closing, timing marks go PC then A. At A, the intake and compression are both slack. Do the adjustments for Cylinder 1 ok. Manual then asks to do a 180 degree turn, and should come up on B in the timing port. When I do that, the number 2 cylinder (closest to the generator head) does not have valves slack. They don't come slack till I'm back past PC to A in the timing port on the second rev? Is the manual wrong, is number 1 cylinder not as I've identified it from the fuel plumbing, or are the marks not right on my flywheel? If I set it up by finding the slack point on the second set of valves then adjusting them, it starts and runs strong...What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Daniel

Last edited:

dlsacco

Forum research yielded another thread and a link to the ONAN OEM manual for the commercial versions that SEEMS to confirm this. The MEP-002a manual SEEMS to contain a cut and paste error from the 003 manual which would have you set the 2nd cylinder at 180 degrees from the 1st cylinder. This is right in the 4 cylinder engines, but in the two cylinder with the pistons in sync with each other, it appears the 2nd cylinder should be set at 360 degrees rotation from the first, (back onto the A timing mark) http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?94245-MEP-002A-Valve-Adjustment-Procedure. Can anybody confirm this?

jbk

theirs been a lot of past posts on the subject. i adjust my 002s as per tm. be sure #1 is on compression stroke(both valves closed) then bring up A make adjustments. rotate 180 stop at B, the intake wont be quite closed yet. make your adjustement. i cant say why 2nd clyl. is delayed like this(intake not quite closed) but all my 002s have performed fine. just read some of the past threads on this and i dont think the subject was ever settled. when reading the onan material sounds like both line up on A since theirs no specific reference to #2 cyl. i have load tested my 002s with 8 kw resitve load with the tm adjustment. but its got me curious again.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks