• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002a voltage adjust issue

nveagle

I have a 1992 Libby MEP002a. The gauges appear to not work, none of them. The engine runs fine without issues. The only issue I have so far is the voltage adjust does not work. I have a Kill-a-watt meter that I used to measure the output. I can get the HZ close by adjusting the idle however the voltage adjust knob, which I assume is for fine adjustment, does not change anything. What part do I need to replace or where do I need to start looking. I am not a mechanic so dumb it down for me.

Scoobyshep

Engine speed is for frequency(Hz) only. The knob is for voltage only. What voltage are you reading?

If you are using the control cube to meter make sure the selector switch is in the right place. If you are reading voltage on an external meter and the knob does nothing, the first thing i would do is check that knob. Try twisting the knob back and forth several times, most times this can de-crapify the winding in the knob.

rickf

If none of the meters are working I would be looking at the connections for the control panel to make sure everything is plugged in. If it is then unplug it and plug it back in several times to clean the connections. But if nothing at all is working that is a lot of stuff that is going on so look for a main plug disconnected.

nveagle

Thanks, will try both of those ideas. As far a the HZ goes, how close do I have to be to 60? I can not get it spot on but + or - .2 is the best I can get without a load.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You want to shoot for 61-62 with no load and then check it once loaded. The difference will not harm anything mechanical. Don't plug your computers into it until you get it all working correctly.
Most computes have 120/240 (50/60hz) autoswitching transformers built in, so they should accept up to a 10% variation in hertz in stride.

Guyfang

Staff member
Have you ever seen this gen set work right?
Is it new to you, or have you had it a while.
Do you have all the TM's downloaded from the Forum, so we can try and help you?

I have a 1992 Libby MEP002a. The gauges appear to not work, none of them. The engine runs fine without issues. The only issue I have so far is the voltage adjust does not work. (By not work, do you mean, it produces no A.C. Voltage? Or do you mean it reads "something" and that will not adjust?) I have a Kill-a-watt meter that I used to measure the output. I can get the HZ close by adjusting the idle (There is no idle on this set. Try very hard to never run the set at low RPM. Its not good for the A.C. volt regulator. Also know, that if there is no A.C. voltage being produced, the Hertz meter can not work.) however the voltage adjust knob, which I assume is for fine adjustment, does not change anything. What part do I need to replace or where do I need to start looking. I am not a mechanic so dumb it down for me.

Keep in mind. If you do not hold the S1, (start switch) in the start position long enough, the gen set will not produce A.C. voltage. If you have not read the start procedure in the -12 TM, please do so. Also, make sure the S& and S8 switches are properly set for the output you want. Instructions for that are also in the -12 TM.

Start the set. measure at the output terminals, after turning on CB-1, (A.C. Output CB) to see what if anything is being produced.

nveagle

Have you ever seen this gen set work right?
Is it new to you, or have you had it a while.
Do you have all the TM's downloaded from the Forum, so we can try and help you?

I have a 1992 Libby MEP002a. The gauges appear to not work, none of them. The engine runs fine without issues. The only issue I have so far is the voltage adjust does not work. (By not work, do you mean, it produces no A.C. Voltage? Or do you mean it reads "something" and that will not adjust?) I have a Kill-a-watt meter that I used to measure the output. I can get the HZ close by adjusting the idle (There is no idle on this set. Try very hard to never run the set at low RPM. Its not good for the A.C. volt regulator. Also know, that if there is no A.C. voltage being produced, the Hertz meter can not work.) however the voltage adjust knob, which I assume is for fine adjustment, does not change anything. What part do I need to replace or where do I need to start looking. I am not a mechanic so dumb it down for me.

Keep in mind. If you do not hold the S1, (start switch) in the start position long enough, the gen set will not produce A.C. voltage. If you have not read the start procedure in the -12 TM, please do so. Also, make sure the S& and S8 switches are properly set for the output you want. Instructions for that are also in the -12 TM.

Start the set. measure at the output terminals, after turning on CB-1, (A.C. Output CB) to see what if anything is being produced.
I have fired it up and tested it with a kill-a-watt meter after reading the manual. The meters all read something different every time it is running, the gauges do not match what the kill-a-watt meter is telling me. The voltage adjustment knob does not adjust the voltage. As far as the "idle" I should have stated the throttle.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, what AC Voltage are you actually measuring with a VOM / DMM on L1/L2 L2/L3 L1/L3 and L1/L0 L2/L0 L3/L0 when you turn the 3 Pole Circuit Breaker to ON and to what Power Output Setting have you set your selector? 120V Single 120/240 Single or 208/230 Three Phase?

rickf

You can check a Kill-A-Watt meter against a meter that's known to be accurate once a year or so if you doubt its accuracy.
True, you can. BUT, Can you use the Kill-o-watt to check the output lugs for 220-240 and 208 three phase? Kidding, but still, you really do need a multimeter when diagnosing electrical problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks