• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002A Voltage Issue

mtfleming

I am using the generator in the 120 V mode. At 24 amps, I get 110 V. At 15 amps, I get 118 V, and at no load, I get 124 V. The voltage at no load is adjustable, but not so much as load goes up. At higher loads, it's not adjustable. Thoughts?

jamawieb

There are 2 adjustment pods on the voltage regulator, you adjust them with a very small flat head screw driver. Try to turn both of those clockwise and counter clockwise several times to clean the connection. Make sure you put them back to where they were. One pod is for the fine tuning of the voltage (fluctuation) and one is for the voltage adjustment (increase or decrease). The next thing is to turn the rheostat (voltage adjustment) knob on the front of the panel left and right to clean that connection.

Frequency? Not just the panel gauge as it may not be working, the transducer can be off.
All very good answers but as everyone else has schooled me on this forum best thing to do Before assuming anything take a step back make sure everything is secure and tight regarding wires I had somewhat of the same problem and it was just 2 loose cables
Not assuming it’s the same thing just check first before you go parts swapping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Partner,

There is no simple answer to your question. I could tell you F1 and F2. And the next person could tell you something completely different. What you need to do, is check every wire. Its a PITA, but if you do not systematically go about checking, you are wasting your time. In post #4, notice the word, "somewhat of the same problem" Every problem can LOOK the same, and have DIFFERENT symptoms.

In post #3, the subject was brought up of frequency. Also important. And you never answered the question. Is the frequency staying at 60 hertz when you pump up the voltage? As the load goes up, are you also pumping up the frequency?

At no load, how can you get 124 volts? I would turn down the voltage. I am using the generator in the 120 V mode. At 24 amps, I get 110 V. At 15 amps, I get 118 V, and at no load, I get 124 V. This doesn't really tell us the right info, in the right sequence. Normally you start in the other direction. You start the set, bring it to 120 volt, 60 hertz. Then apply load. What are the readings? And so on.

You got to help us, help you.

Guyfang

Staff member
Could very well be. Have the pots been knobdicked? We don't have enough info. Is this set new to mtfleming? Has he ever seen it run right? Has he adjusted it? Before attempting "adjustments", things like making sure the screws and contact points are tight is a very good idea. Knowing about how the generator is set up, adjusting hertz and voltage before testing is also important. Eliminating the simple stuff first, makes troubleshooting much easyer.

Triple Jim

Sounds like the voltage regulator board variable resistors. One controls droop, the other range.
One pot adjusts the set voltage and the other adjusts the transient response, which is not quite a droop adjustment. It's supposed to be set to minimize fluctuations when a load is suddenly changed, but doesn't have an effect on the steady state droop. It's actually a derivative feedback adjustment.