• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep-002a won't crank. starter bad? solenoid?

mep002aowner

So my gen won't crank over. Things I've checked/observed so far:

1. Batteries are fully charged, with a maintainer on them. voltmeter says 26+ volts.

2. The fuel pumps come on normally in Prime and Aux/Prime positions.

3. Some kind of relay clicks in the control panel when switch is moved to Start.

4. Battery voltage drops to less than 5 volts when in start position. Seemingly a big draw, which makes me think the starter is probably shorted.

5. The starter lockout wires have continuity with engine not running. (good)

6. I do NOT hear any kind of click or noise from the starter solenoid when switch is moved to Start.

7. I put a test light on the starter side of the starter solenoid, and it lights up brightly when switch is moved to Start.
Kinda interesting, it also lights up dimly in the Prime and Aux/Prime positions. Bad solenoid?

8. I tapped/banged on the solenoid and on the starter with a 2x4 and a heavy screwdriver. I also tried rotating the engine by poking a big screwdriver through the grill and rotating flywheel about 1/2 turn in both directions. Still no crank.

9. I removed all battery cable connections and cleaned up with battery terminal brush and a file. All connections are good, and no voltage drop to the starter solenoid.

So my questions are:

1. Do you agree it sounds like the starter is shorted internally, given #4 and #7?

2. Does the solenoid normally make a click when it activates?

3. Does it sound like the solenoid is working correctly or not, given #7?

4. Where can I order a new starter and/or solenoid, the cheaper the better?

5. Anything else to check, or suggestions to try?

thanks!

Last edited:

Triple Jim

4. Battery voltage drops to less than 5 volts when in start position. Seemingly a big draw, which makes me think the starter is probably shorted.
If this is really true I think you'd have some other symptoms, like smoking battery cables. Did you measure this at the actual battery posts? How about now that you're cleaned the battery connections?

Last edited:

mep002aowner

Have you tried shorting across the contacts on the end of the solenoid? This would prove 24VDC directly to the starter.
yes, the contacts have been painted, but I was able to briefly short them a couple times with a screwdriver and also a pair of pliers. I saw sparks, but no noise or action from the starter.

I also tried jumping battery positive to the 3rd contact on starter solenoid where the small wire from contral panel attaches. There appeared to be a big draw which kind of surprised me, but again no noise from solenoid or starter.

Last edited:

mep002aowner

If this is really true I think you'd have some other symptoms, like smoking battery cables. Did you measuring this at the actual battery posts? How about now that you're cleaned the battery connections?
yeah I measured directly at the battery posts, and also underneath the control panel where there is some kind of aux power connection that has big leads from battery pos and neg.

battery cables were not smoking and never seemed to get very hot to the touch. I was using a digital multimeter, so reading may not have been as accurate as with an analog meter when under load. Also, I never held the switch in Start position more than a couple seconds.

mep002aowner

btw, this started happening after the generator sat for a few months with a 24v battery maintainer on it. Before sitting it was running fine and I didn't do any mechanical or electrical maintenance. Just tried to start it up after a few months, and nothing.

edit: actually, as I recall it did briefly start to crank for like a second the very first time, then nothing since except clicks in the control panel.

Chainbreaker

Just throwing this out there... Have you checked out the "Start Control Assembly" mechanism? There is a set of points in there that can go out of adjustment. In the Tech Manual it's shown on PRINTED PG # 136 of the -24 manual.

Have you downloaded the TM's? If not, go to top of this page and select "TM". Or select here: MEP-002a TM's that I hypertexted for you. You want the -24P parts manual that refers to the switch location.

In the -12 Manual there are some troubleshooting steps beginning on PDF pg # 132 (Section 4-3) that might assist with verifying operation of that switch.

Last edited:

mep002aowner

Chainbreaker, thx for the info and links. I will review.

That said, I believe the tests I was doing should make the starter operate directly from the battery, regardless of switch position or anything in the control panel.

Triple Jim

yeah I measured directly at the battery posts, and also underneath the control panel where there is some kind of aux power connection that has big leads from battery pos and neg.

battery cables were not smoking and never seemed to get very hot to the touch. I was using a digital multimeter, so reading may not have been as accurate as with an analog meter when under load. Also, I never held the switch in Start position more than a couple seconds.
I didn't mean at the posts, I meant on the actual posts themselves. If the battery voltage, measured on the posts, dropped that low, I expect the batteries themselves have a problem, in addition to other possible problems with the system. If the batteries are in good condition and fully charged, I guarantee that drawing enough current to drop them from 25 to 5 volts would heat up the cables in one second.

Assuming your measurement was correct, and you measured less than 5 volts on the battery posts when you tried to crank, I believe that your batteries are bad. This also would explain why it tried to crank once and then just made relay clicks after that.

Last edited:

Ray70

Sounds like bad batteries to me.
I know you tried jumping the starter right at the starter solenoid itself, but just for your added information, inside the control panel on the back wall centered there are 2 additional solenoids, one above the other.
One is for the glow plugs and the other is for the starter.
That clicking you hear is either 1 or both of those solenoids clicking.
Both should click together as an 002/003 will energize the glow plug circuit automatically whenever you are cranking the motor.
If by chance you find your batteries are good, take a look at the solenoids, although jumping the small wire to the battery + at the starter will have bypassed the solenoid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks