• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-002a won't initially stay running

Hectorsosa

Apologies if this has been previously covered - I have an MEP-002a with almost 400 hours on it that recently started giving me trouble. When I start it everything is fine until I let the switch move back to the run position. Initially it acts like one of the safeties is tripping and cuts fuel. If i turn the switch back to start a couple times it will eventually stay running.

Yes I know it's likely a safety, but being that it's intermittent I'm not sure how to troubleshoot. Do the symptoms I describe point toward any one specific safety, or is it time to start replacing parts until it behaves?

Hectorsosa

I have the TMs and I mostly understand the schematic. If you're referring to the plate on top of the unit mine is sun faded and hard to read.

I guess what I'm getting at is it doesn't work until it does. I'll use this example - the oil pressure switch is open until there's oil pressure, then the switch closes. Let's say I did the troubleshooting and it seems to be the oil pressure switch. If my oil pressure gauge isn't 100% accurate I replace the switch only to find out the seals in the oil pump are going bad. I've never HAD to troubleshoot this generator as it has always just worked. I'm not entirely sure where to start.

Should I be looking anywhere in particualr in the TMs? Example - is there a symptom/solution flowchart somewhere?

rickf

First and foremost are you getting oil pressure right away or is it lagging up to the point where the unit stays running? Try bypassing the oil pressure safety but if that solves the problem you REALLY need to see why you have no oil pressure. Actually you need to see why even if it doesn't solve the problem. Check the oil level.
And do not take offense to what I am saying! I have had so many people tell me that they are positive the car has oil in it and when I get there it is down 4 quarts and the engine is fried. This is why I say these things.

Guyfang

Staff member
First and foremost are you getting oil pressure right away or is it lagging up to the point where the unit stays running? Try bypassing the oil pressure safety but if that solves the problem you REALLY need to see why you have no oil pressure. (Jumping the S5 and the set running, is not just an indicator of low or no oil pressure. It can also mean the S5 is bad. Jumping the S5 and it works, tells you to first check oil pressure with a gauge, and if you have oil pressure, to check the S5. I would check the S5 first. Less work. )Actually you need to see why even if it doesn't solve the problem. Check the oil level.
And do not take offense to what I am saying! I have had so many people tell me that they are positive the car has oil in it and when I get there it is down 4 quarts and the engine is fried. This is why I say these things.
Open to see comments.

rickf

Remember Guyfang, the 003 has a mechanical oil pressure gauge staring right at you so you can see the pressure as you start. My safety failed but the oil pressure gauge showed I had good oil pressure.

Hectorsosa

I've got pressure on the gauge moments after it starts firing. Oil level is full on the stick. I only used the oil pressure switch as an example, but I also know there isn't exactly dozens of safeties on these units. I'll jump TB5-8 to TB5-9 and see what happens. Thanks everybody.

Chainbreaker

I've got pressure on the gauge moments after it starts firing. Oil level is full on the stick. I only used the oil pressure switch as an example, but I also know there isn't exactly dozens of safeties on these units. I'll jump TB5-8 to TB5-9 and see what happens. Thanks everybody.
In fact, there are only 2 safeties. Oil Pressure & Temperature. Oil pressure switch is a relatively common failure, temperature switch not so much.

The other possibility for running & then stopping might be a fueling issue due to electrical or mechanical issues. First eliminate the two more common above before moving on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks