• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A won't start without ether

banker

I have a MEP 002A that I just bought from Government Liquidation auction. I drained old fuel and replaced filters, cleaned strainer including inside fuel pumps (they all had brown goo in them). It wouldn't fire after repeated cranking so I used some ether and it fired right up. It ran nice and smoothly and all gauges read appropriate levels. I hooked an electric heater to the convenience outlet and it ran well even under load. I let it run 10 or 20 minutes and shut it down. I tried to restart it and it would not, no matter how long I cranked. I waited til it was cold and it still wouldn't start. A shot of ether and it starts right up again. A second attempt produced the same outcome. Any idea what my problem might be? I am not a mechanical engineer - just a tinkerer so any help will have to be terms I can understand! Thanks....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The electric shutoff solenoids are known to be sticky.

Is it lifting when you crank the engine?