• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Won't start

Tom Thorning

I just bought a MEP 002A got it home and put new batteries in and it ran fine. The next day I went to start and nothing. Fuel pump comes on, Fuel valve opens but no starter. I can jump the solenoid and get it to turn over but again it wont start. I try a little starter fluid and it will begin to run then shuts down. A little white smoke is coming from exhaust. Oil pressure comes up okay. Open drain valves on filters turn power on and fuel pumps. Is there another location or direction I should taking? Thanks. Tom

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like you are not getting fuel. If you open the engine cover by the ip there is a fuel lever. Push it down by hand a bit when trying to start sometimes they get sticky. Have you changed the fuel filters?
Will

Isaac-1

I am not clear here, but from the front switch does it try to crank? also have you tried pulling and resetting the push to reset breakers, these sometimes act up when they have sat up a while and need to be cycled half a dozen times or so

Last edited:

Tom Thorning

Ok I thought it was lift up. No on the filters. It has been in storage for a year and it started fine the day before so I did not go there. How about the Jumping of the solenoid not starting by way of switch

Tom Thorning

I have reset breaker a few times. When I turn power on the fuel pump comes on and when I turn switch to start I can hear a relay click but starter does not. With power on I can jump solenoid and it turns over. Possibly bad relay in panel box?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have had bad battery and starter connections give me starting issues like that before. Check the negative side run a jumper to the frame too from the negative sometimes stuff gets corroded.

Harleyd315

Check the starter lockout switch located by the oil filter. You can jump out the wires if you undo the cannon plug, has 2 wires. This switch keeps the starter from engaging if you need to flash the field after engine is running. If it starts after jumping the 2 wires then take off the cover and clean the contacts and adjust switch.

Tom Thorning

Hey I want to say thanks to all of you who have responded. Lots of good info. I will be back on this tomorrow. I volunteer at the Olympic Flight Museum and tonight is our work party for a Huey that goes out on a trailer for parades and other events. VHPA is also involved with this. Tom

storeman

Sounds like you pulled the last of the clean fuel through the system then ran into crap. Clean the tank and replace the fuel filters...at least clean out the pump filters.
Jerry

Have you tried removing the fuel supply hose at the IP? I had a machine that had some nast crud in the tank from sitting. I replaced the filters and still had no flow. I then removed the bottom of the fuel pumps to find the screens were loaded with crud. After cleaning them i decided to work my way back from the IP. Turned it on and after a minute or two I got plenty of fuel out of that hose. Re connected every thing and turned the machine on I could hear fuel going back to the tank. Machine started right up after sitting since last summer.
If you do this you can also purge alot of air out of the fuel system. Good luck metalworker393

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's try to solve one problem at a time here people.

The first problem I see is lack of good information from the OP.

The second problem I've been able to deduce is no starter action when the start switch is rotated.

And finally the third problem that everybody seems to be heading to is the fuel issue, which I suspect may be related to problem #2, but maybe not.

First of all, Start by doing as Harley suggested, and look at the starter lockout switch. This will keep you from getting any starter movement even though you have the fuel pumps and such. After you figure out why the starter will not move, then you need to look at the arm on the side of the IP and make sure it is moving when you start cranking the engine. If it does move (and it should lift up), place your finger under it and give it a little boost to make sure it is opening up the whole way. If it doesn't move, then you have more issues. BUT, we'll need more specific, properly worder and descriptive details about your problem.

steelypip

It probably would have kicked over faster if they weren't playing with the IP linkage. Obviously bad glow plugs or failing to RTFM and hold it on preheat for 30-60 sec before starting. They're cold-blooded beasts, but they do start just fine when properly maintained. Another old school trick is to hold a hand over the exhaust pipe until it fires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks