• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 and AC test

PaulbusMax

I was finally able to complete a couple tasks with some of my equipment. First real load testing of the MEP-003A, and checkout of a 36k BTU air conditioner i picked up (GL) a few months ago. I've been a little worried about the MEP, darn frequency meter seems to stick. Anyhow, the AC blows super cold air and felt soooo good in today's 102 temp. Ran the duo for about an hour, with MEP showing 50 percent load. Happy day!

Attachments

PaulbusMax

Last night was the test of the FDECU-5 i picked up a few weeks ago. Basically a 700 pound heat pump type air conditioner. 64k BTU. I was a little doubtful the MEP-003A could handle it. After all the preflight checks, power was applied to the unit and logic board lights checked. All good so far. When i hit the "cool" button, sure enough, the inrush startup current tripped the MEP's breaker. However, if i start the -5 by bringing the fans online first (ventilation mode), then pushing the "cool" button, it starts up and blasts some really fine cold air in copious amounts. MEP shows 75% load, and runs great. Ambient temp was about 98. It's such a relief to know the potential boat anchor you just bought actually works well. :)

Attachments

6X6WES

I know this is old but I've been looking in tm's and owners manuals and I cant seem to find . I have a fdecu-2 I'm trying to test. which gen sets does it plug into? I would like to find out before I hard wire it. I would like to keep the conn on there. any help is appreciated. wes

STLvortac

I know this is old but I've been looking in tm's and owners manuals and I cant seem to find . I have a fdecu-2 I'm trying to test. which gen sets does it plug into? I would like to find out before I hard wire it. I would like to keep the conn on there. any help is appreciated. wes
Is the -2 60k btu like the -5 mentioned above? I'd say min of 003, as mentioned by the post above using care in starting procedure.

6X6WES

yea i figured 10 or 15k also has to be three phase, but I was wondering if any one knew which models have the round military conn that match's the cord ? my fdecu-2 unit is 66k cooling and 84k heating according to the specs.

robertsears1

I bought a FDECU-5 home this week from Portsmouth, VA GL. There were two but the other one did not have the flexible ducts inside like mine. The bad news on mine was a Sharpie note that it would not power up but I thought I should be able to figure it out and it was only around $125 all in. The power cord is thick (60 amps) and it had a five prong connector that loked familiar and sure enough, it fit the round power outlet that came on my MEP-804a generator. I fired it up and hit the ventilation button and it worked, let it run about 5 min, then shut it down. I think I lifted the lid to look inside and when I shut it, the left latch continued to be hard to close. The next several hours consisted of hitting the start for the fan or climate mode and having the unit start for half a second before tripping the generator off and then me scratching my head while searching the TM. I finally noticed with the lid up there was some kind of interlock sensor near the left side where the balky latch is. Two or three brain cells began to work and said maybe that was the problem since I could never find the answer in the TM that Hard Head provided. I made sure the left latch was fully home and now it is working again so possibly the Sharpie note about not being able to start is resolved. However, now I think the reversing valve is stuck on heat mode since it seems to get hotter the more you turn the climate knob to cool. The compressor is running and I can see liquid moving through the sightglass. I ran it an hour today and the most load the generator showed was around 50%. I also ran the unit using the remote control in case the control on the side of the unit is somehow wired backwards. I scanned the TM and only found a section about replacing the reversing valve, not how to diagnose if it is working correctly. Any knowledge you can throw my way would be appreciated. I will be gone until Tuesday since I have to take some folks to Houston for the b ball championship so I will continue to read the TM. I still have not figured out how to shrink pictures for posting yet.

Robert

Last edited:

6X6WES

it fit the round power outlet that came on my MEP-804a generator.

thanks that is what I was looking for :mrgreen: . sorry I cant really help with your reversing valve question yet as all I have done with mine is look at it! I'm gonna start studying mine now and the tm.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 100kw distribution box for the generator has the right connectors. I bought the mating one to make a pigtail to plug into our standard 3 phase power at work. I pondered over cutting the connector off or making the pigtail. I think it would have been better to just cut the original connector off and put on a twist lock. I would have saved almost $275 per unit. You can make a power distribution panel for far less than the generator power dist panels for sale at GL now!
The inline connector is an RTI Amphenol Circular MIL Spec Connector In Line Receptacle MS90557C32412S

6X6WES

thank you hard head I am making those same discussions now wanted to test unit at home but thinking about putting it in my body shop which already has three phase

robertsears1

I finally used an old camera to take some pictures. I thought I had figured out the reason my FDECU-5 would start for less than a second and then kick off the breaker on my MEP-804a and sometimes it will show a short on the fault lights. I thought it was the interlock on the lid but that does not seem to be the case now so I will investigate further. I also mentioned that the reversing valve did not seem to work but I have not been able to keep it running since I tapped on the valve and solenoid to see if they would break free and operate. A couple of shots of the plug that fits the outlet that came on my 804a and one shot with the lid up. It did come with the flexible ducts and that was the main reason I bought this one (may regret that if I can not keep it running).

Robert

P1010466.jpgP1010467.jpgP1010463.jpgP1010465.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks