• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 auto start and controller install?

bimota

Anyone have a successful auto start and/or digital controller install on a MEP-003 or similar genset? I have a Dyngen GSC 300 panel that has all the function except frequency (RPM). So I'll be going that way eventually, makes the generator start up and shut down with a simple switch. You can hook up to a switch in the cab or to solar inverters or chargers to automatically start the genset. Very useful!

This is not a automatic transfer switch, just the auto start up. Transfer switches are fairly straight forward once the auto-start and auto-shutdown are setup and working. Any ideas or success stories are welcome.

Specifically on the MEP-003 - anyone install an auto-throttle solenoid?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, the MEP-003a doesn't need an auto throttle. That generator and engine are designed to be started and taken straight to rated speed. Just set your speed when you have it running and leave the throttle alone. That way the next time you start it up, it will go right to the rated speed.

As to an auto start feature. I haven't seen or heard of anybody doing this yet. But I will be doing it soon.

You are correct, the transfer switch is pretty straight foreward. The problem with the MEP-003a and 002a is that you can't just use a simple switch to auto start the set. You have the preheat function to deal with, and then you have to make sure your set actually started. They are known to not start the first time around due to needing to build up oil pressure. Also, you need to make sure you are actually generating power once it does start. Sometimes that can be an issue, and is why they built in the manual field flash feature. When I finally get around to doing mine, I will be using a PLC to do all of the functions and start, monitor the set, and switch the utility power off/on as needed.

sfm12

I bought a GCU10. It has a programmable pre-heat built in. I currently have my generator running perfectly by jumping wires on the board. The 24vdc relays will come in soon and it will be done.

The hard part of this project, was figuring out which terminals on the board controlled the needed functions. Looking at the board (don't use the harness letters) connect T to S and the board will come on. T is the terminal that supplies the power to the switches. I then bring in the wire for the glow plugs for a few seconds, and then remove it, and touch another wire to T and and starter is energized.

I also traced and found which two wires control the contactor on top. Also known as the AC power on switch.

My AC voltage was way too low, so I put the two wires together to imitate the potentiometer being set to 0 Ohms and the voltage came up to 236 on the high and 126 on the low.

Hope this helps. I will provide a wiring diagram in a few days.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought a GCU10. It has a programmable pre-heat built in. I currently have my generator running perfectly by jumping wires on the board. The 24vdc relays will come in soon and it will be done.

The hard part of this project, was figuring out which terminals on the board controlled the needed functions. Looking at the board (don't use the harness letters) connect T to S and the board will come on. T is the terminal that supplies the power to the switches. I then bring in the wire for the glow plugs for a few seconds, and then remove it, and touch another wire to T and and starter is energized.

I also traced and found which two wires control the contactor on top. Also known as the AC power on switch.

My AC voltage was way too low, so I put the two wires together to imitate the potentiometer being set to 0 Ohms and the voltage came up to 236 on the high and 126 on the low.

Hope this helps. I will provide a wiring diagram in a few days.
You're running that control unit on a MEP-903a APU. The MEP-002a and 003a's are quite a bit different. However, it probably is very possible to do a system with the controller you are using. These sets don't have the electronic boards like the APU's have, these are older models with conventional relays inside of the control panels.

Last edited:

sfm12

Sorry about that....my mistake. It's probably even easier on your MEP 003. If you send me a control wiring diagram I think I can help you.

Buckeye Mike

I also have a GSC 300 on my civilian Isuzu powered genset.

In theory it should work but you will need to have a 24 V model.

The GSC 300 will apply 12V (you will need the 24V model) first and coninuously to the fuel pump. This is done via the prime and run switch on the MEP sets.
After running the fuel pump only for a promgrammed amount of time it will then for a period of time (while fuel pump is still running) apply 12V DC to the glow plugs. It is possible to continue to apply power to the glow plugs while cranking. It will then apply 12 V to the starter to crank the engine.

After a set period of time it will look for a minimum oil pressure setting/maximum temperature setting/and a frequency. The frequency lets it know the generator is running. It is has too low an oil pressure, too high a temperature or too low a frequency it will shut off power to the fuel pump and thus shut down the engine.

By knowing where to apply voltage to fuel pump, glow plugs and starter you can start the engine with the GSC 300. You can disable the high temp sensor so as not to use it. You have an oil pressure gauge so there has to be a signal available for that sensor. You can take power at the convenience plug to let it know it is running at the right frequency or at the frequency meter.

enigmapaul

gsc300

Guys,

the dynagen GSC300 does work on 24V, there is only one model. You just have to unplug the 12V relays that come with it and plug in the 24V versions. you can get the relays from them or from a dealer I think or local automotive shop.

I also have a GSC 300 on my civilian Isuzu powered genset.

In theory it should work but you will need to have a 24 V model.

The GSC 300 will apply 12V (you will need the 24V model) first and coninuously to the fuel pump. This is done via the prime and run switch on the MEP sets.
After running the fuel pump only for a promgrammed amount of time it will then for a period of time (while fuel pump is still running) apply 12V DC to the glow plugs. It is possible to continue to apply power to the glow plugs while cranking. It will then apply 12 V to the starter to crank the engine.

After a set period of time it will look for a minimum oil pressure setting/maximum temperature setting/and a frequency. The frequency lets it know the generator is running. It is has too low an oil pressure, too high a temperature or too low a frequency it will shut off power to the fuel pump and thus shut down the engine.

By knowing where to apply voltage to fuel pump, glow plugs and starter you can start the engine with the GSC 300. You can disable the high temp sensor so as not to use it. You have an oil pressure gauge so there has to be a signal available for that sensor. You can take power at the convenience plug to let it know it is running at the right frequency or at the frequency meter.

bimota

Good work - minus the wiring diagram details!

Ok, last message was a little confusing, will work on 24 or won't work on 24? The GSC300 will work on either voltage by yes, changing the relays. Just to clarify.

And yes, the support guys are good on these units, Canadian Made - there are lots of Chinese generator control units and I assume they work and they are less expensive but not sure on longevity and quality.

Key missing link (not our ancestors) is the wiring diagram or connections for the MEP-003. Can someone take the 10 minutes to either dictate in text or draw up a sketch of the wiring required sequence and connections to:
1. power up the fuel pump
2. do preheat for 20 seconds
3. crank motor for __ seconds
4. measure output to confirm engine running
5. start over if did not start (controller does this)

This is the basic starting sequence needed for any diesel generator. The GSC300 does this and more, BUT with these military sets the trick is finding the right places to run the connections. I'll be doing a MEP-004 later this summer and will post. If anyone has done this for the MEP-003 or 004 it's worth $20 on Paypal to save me the time!

Next step is to find senders for the oil, water etc guages to sent to controller for added safety and digital readout - advanced!

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Key missing link (not our ancestors) is the wiring diagram or connections for the MEP-003. Can someone take the 10 minutes to either dictate in text or draw up a sketch of the wiring required sequence and connections to:
1. power up the fuel pump...Apply 24 volts to wire # P61A16 (Or either terminal #13 or 14 of the master switch)
2. do preheat for 20 seconds...Apply 24 volts to wire # P54A16 (Or terminal #15 of the master switch)
3. crank motor for 15 seconds MAX...Apply 24 volts to wires #P61A16 and P54A16 (mentioned above), AND connect together during cranking wires #P53C16, #P57A16 and #P66D16 (Terminals 25, 27 and 28 of the master switch) DO THIS ONLY WHILE CRANKING!
4. measure output to confirm engine running...Use any 120 volt source you can get at easily.
:doghead:

enigmapaul

Yes it will work on 24V but the gsc300 has these plug-in cube relays on the back. They come from the dealer with 12V versions installed. the controller is COMPATIBLE with 24V but you must unplug the default 12V relays and plugin 24V versions of the same thing. its a 5 second job.

The relays output positive signals +24V, so you need to tap into the fuel circuit by feeding it +24V. Same with the preheat and starter motor. Sorry I don't have a specific diagram around to show the tap in points. The feedback for generator started is easy because its just the ac output of the generator (120V). You can tap that from the main power plugs, neutral to hot. the controller takes 300V max I think so should be a piece of cake.

as for as gauges, i know the gsc300 has oil pressure and temp and I bought my sensors from the gsc300 manufacturer actually and installed. It was easier than trying to figure out how to get a random sensor to calibrate. its pretty much plug and play from there. you just have to screw them into the tapped holes. If there are none, you have to tap them. 1/8"-27 NPTF if i remember.

hope that helps a little bit.

Ok, last message was a little confusing, will work on 24 or won't work on 24? The GSC300 will work on either voltage by yes, changing the relays. Just to clarify.

And yes, the support guys are good on these units, Canadian Made - there are lots of Chinese generator control units and I assume they work and they are less expensive but not sure on longevity and quality.

1. power up the fuel pump
2. do preheat for 20 seconds
3. crank motor for __ seconds
4. measure output to confirm engine running

This is the basic starting sequence needed for any diesel generator. The GSC300 does this and more, BUT with these military sets the trick is finding the right places to run the connections. I'll be doing a MEP-004 later this summer and will post. If anyone has done this for the MEP-003 or 004 it's worth $20 on Paypal to save me the time!

Next step is to find senders for the oil, water etc guages to sent to controller for added safety and digital readout - advanced!

bimota

Nice work, that saves many of us lots of time. I saw recently literally dozens of these units at auction and with auto start and new digital gauges you have a substantially upgraded machine.

Greater challenges abound:
1. precise speed control: SpeddMon suggested set and forget which may be ok but can anyone come up with a cost effective way to monitor frequency and change throttle to adjust? Likely this is not cost effective but an interesting challenge. Speddmon do you know how they do load control now? I know I loaded my 003 down with 100amps of load and it pulled it with huge blow of diesel smoke and did not throw the breaker - which should probably scare me but anyway the point is it appeared to handle the load but with fuel prices now it may be more how to minimal load it to keep frequency without wasting fuel. Ideas?
2. Sound mitigation - the 003s will kill your hearing - I've come up with plans for a shed lined with 4" rock wool slabs but I'm having trouble finding rock wool slabs in small quantities - any suggestions? I'll offer in return some ideas on sound proof sheds

Thank you all for the contributions.

fredri

So did anyone produce a schematics for the MEP003A to compliment the text version? I am purchasing one of these and want it to be automated with my Xantrex 24 Volt Inverter for maintaining my off grid remote cabin's batteries even while I'm away.

Thanks in advance to any of you experts on this site for anything you can help with...

Isaac-1

My concern about the Inova Hightech controller (unless it has changed) is that it only offers a single cranking attempt before going into an error mode that requires a manual power switch cycling to try again. This generator is going to be located at a remote site with potential cold weather, and these engines are not known for easy cold weather starting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks