• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003 cranks but will not run. not a fuel problem.

Rene M

So, i have been hard at this for a few days but just cant seem to wrap my head around it. I have no power or ground to the fuel solenoid. Not in crank or run mode.
now i do have power to the engine temp, and the oil pressure switch all function and i good good power transfer . Still no power and i have stared at the schematic so long its just a blur.

power goes out from the master , runs through the temp, oil pressure switches and then it goes? clearly it comes back in to the control area but to what. im at a loss.

Also, i get power to my hour meter gauge and charging gauge only under cranking not under run mode.
Im sure the answer is staring at me but i fail to see it.

If, i run a bypass to the solenoid both positive and ground, the engine starts like a dream and runs great. just cant get past this. i want the unit to run with the safety system intact.

And yes the emergency shut down works and is not engaged.

I have helped a lot of people over the years on here now, i'm:? asking for help.

jamawieb

Check out A1 relay panel in the control cubicle. Its located in the upper right and it helps control K5 fuel solenoid. Their are 2 diodes located behind A1 that can go bad. In TM-12 it tells you how to test it. The TM's refer to the fuel cutoff solenoid as a governor solenoid.

Guyfang

Staff member
Rene,

Is this set new to you?
Have you seen it run right before? What I mean is, did it run right, and now all the suddenly did it stop running right?

Like Jamawieb told you, check out the A1. If it's good, go to TB5-9. With the start switch in start, you should have 24 volts there. Do you? If so, go to J3, pin A. With the start switch in the start position, you should have 24 volts. Do you? If you want to jump the oil and temp switches, hook up a wire between TB5-8 and TB5-9. That jumps past all the switches.

View attachment Übungsleiter_C_Lizens_Info0001.pdf

Rene M

20170820_120616.jpg
Ground was a simple run to the case. The power supply was run back to the light switch in the control panel.
All were removed so that I can chase out the problem.

Rene M

Rene,

Is this set new to you?
Have you seen it run right before? What I mean is, did it run right, and now all the suddenly did it stop running right?

Like Jamawieb told you, check out the A1. If it's good, go to TB5-9. With the start switch in start, you should have 24 volts there. Do you? If so, go to J3, pin A. With the start switch in the start position, you should have 24 volts. Do you? If you want to jump the oil and temp switches, hook up a wire between TB5-8 and TB5-9. That jumps past all the switches.

View attachment 695956
Testing.. 24 volt at start switch, full power goes to and through both temp and oil pressure switches.
Fuel gov/shut down solinoid does not have power or ground at any time during cranking or in run mode. Even with temp and oil pressure switches bypassed.

Rene M

GOOD! The only way to solve the problem is to remove the jumpers.

Are the original wires still there?
The unit was sand blasted and painted tan . It's hard to tell if all the harness is there or what's been "modified ".
For instance, in aux fuel mode it seems all three fuel pumps are running?
I also found a cut off 10 guage wire at the starter . It was taped up but I can find where it went. My thoughts without wire numbers is it may have been where power kept the fuel/Gove solinoid energized while cranking. Maybe.

Rene M

A great deal of the problem I have is that I am not familiar with the methods in which the federal government at this point wired up the control systems it seems a little overdone by way of comparison to Modern and or even older gensets with the same type safety and control systems

Guyfang

Staff member
The J3 cannon plug, pin A is wire number P66H116. That should go to the one side of the solenoid, the + side. Pin C is wire P55T16, should go to the other side of the solenoid, the - side. So unscrew the plug, and trace the wires to the solenoid. See if maybe someone cut them off, or just left them hanging someplace in the engine compartment.

Guyfang

Staff member
A great deal of the problem I have is that I am not familiar with the methods in which the federal government at this point wired up the control systems it seems a little overdone by way of comparison to Modern and or even older gensets with the same type safety and control systems
Stop worrying. We can get this worked out. Everything comes to the man or woman who has patience.