• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 - Fuel Pump Issue?

Guyfang

Staff member
Indeed, try bench testing, and if they do not work, cut off the RFI filter, and try again.

The only other thing I would add, is that we really do not have an idea how old anything on any gen set is. If someone tested the set before it was sold off, and it worked, then for them, its good. If the parts were 25 years old, well, what can you expect?

chiefgguy

@rosco, @Triple Jim, @GreenMV, @Guyfang,

On one of the units, I did try cutting out the RFI filter with no luck. I've not tried to bench test them, as I don't have a real easy way to do it.. need to find something I can create 24v on the bench with. I did have all 3 of them a part and cleaned them up, including removing the shaft that is in there and associated spring. They all seemed to move very easily and fluidly. I would like to find a way to bench test them, as I'm really perplexed by all 3 being out but like @Guyfang says we really don't know how old these are.. The unit ran great this weekend with the new pump, so it'll take some of the immediate interest in fixing a problem away for a little while.. If anyone knows of an inexpensive device that can put out 24v, (on the bench from shore power) i may pursue that a little more aggressively.

Thanks for your inquiries.. I find this site very helpful and glad you guys are out there!

jamawieb

@rosco, @Triple Jim, @GreenMV, @Guyfang,

On one of the units, I did try cutting out the RFI filter with no luck. I've not tried to bench test them, as I don't have a real easy way to do it.. need to find something I can create 24v on the bench with. I did have all 3 of them a part and cleaned them up, including removing the shaft that is in there and associated spring. They all seemed to move very easily and fluidly. I would like to find a way to bench test them, as I'm really perplexed by all 3 being out but like @Guyfang says we really don't know how old these are.. The unit ran great this weekend with the new pump, so it'll take some of the immediate interest in fixing a problem away for a little while.. If anyone knows of an inexpensive device that can put out 24v, (on the bench from shore power) i may pursue that a little more aggressively.

Thanks for your inquiries.. I find this site very helpful and glad you guys are out there!
Just take some extra wire you have laying around, hook it to your battery on the generator, the negative can be put anywhere on the pump. No need to make it complicated.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't try bench testing the pumps using a 24 VDC battery charger. I made that mistake years ago. The pumps simply buzzed and wouldn't pump, but when hooked to the batteries they worked fine.

Guyfang

Staff member
Jamawieb has just told you how 99.9999999999% of the military does it. Or even more simple. Take the + wire on the pump, and put it in the Positive terminal of the slave recpt. and simply ground the body of the pump to a screw that is missing some paint. Works too.

Ain't "purdy", as my grandpa would have said, but "sure does work".