• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 , Ground fault Receptacle Installation ?

Kahles56

To start with I was testing my convenience receptacle today and my Jiffy Diffie home receptacle tester informed me I had a HOT/NEU Reversal. SO I went in and changed the configuration . Tested again and got the same results.
So now I would like to install a GFCI in place of the modern 3 plug receptacle.

1. Can It Be Done on this Generator?
2, Would I be correct in Installing the GFCI with The lead going from J14 to (S6 Pin L3 ) to the Brass side of the receptacle ,,, with the other lead from (S6/ pole 6) going /coming from L0 to the white /silver screw and then installing a ground strap from the Receptacle to the Cabinet.

The Jiffy Diffie tester has me confused on install.

Thanks In advance.
Ken

Kahles56

Was the set grounded when testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Got your reply, checked grounding, Not tight but not loose.
Going to clean up grounding stud later this afternoon and recheck with the plug tester.
Hope it is something as easy as grounding.

Would still like a conformation on GFCI installation or do I just need to abandon receptacle?

Ray70

Perhaps you should further explain your setup?
Is this a stand alone setup or connected to your house panel?
Are the neutral and chassis ground still bonded together at the ground lug on the lower frame?
Is it grounded with a dedicated grounding rod, or grounded back through your home breaker panel?

DD58

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Also where are you reversing the wires? At the gfci or deeper in the genset?
Also more info on your entire setup would be good too.
It’s not a big deal on the convenience receptacle. As long as your lugs are wire correctly to you sub panel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahles56

The unit is set up as a stand alone generator ,
neutral is bonded at frame.. Ground in place 8ft from genset and wire has continuity to genset.
Generator is not attached to house in any way.

I pulled the three prong receptacle out today and rechecked the wiring to assure that the wiring was coming from the correct lugs in the transfer cabinet.
Checked the X6812 wire for continuity to ground. I have continuity to ground on this wire. this should be the the equivalent of the neutral in a house.
Checked the X3812 wire through the CB3 and had continuity on this wire, this wire is the equivalent of the hot leg in a house.
Checked the Frame , top and side cabinet to frame ground , Motor ground and had less than .1 ohm of resistance on whole unit to bonded ground lug.

I picked up a GFCI and Installed per directions after filing the opening a little to allow the GFCI to fit.
Installed a ground strap from GFCI ground to back of CB3 fixture strap and cabinet and tested Ground. Ground checked
Started Gen set up, ground fault tested and operational.
Checked CB3 for operation , CB3 works.

Checked the voltages on GFCI ( 121.9V)

Threw Main breaker on Genset and checked voltages on 120/240 single phase , (L1-121.8v, L2-9.98v, L3-121.9v)
I would have thought that L2 would have been 0.0v but need to read up on that , else I have a problem somewhere?

Tested the GFCI for polarity, Tester states that I have a Hot /Neu Rev.
Went inside house and checked the tester on 3 GFCI.s and confirmed that the tester was operational.

Retested the GFCI on self test mode and GFCI is functional.

????????????????? Ideas , thoughts , Am I good to go as in hooking up to house ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks