• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 Main AC breaker and R-3 adjustment questions

dependable

Been working MEP-003. Runs fine, makes good power but breaker switches off at under 100% load.

I guess these wear out, and this one has white powder on dried on it that either dripped down from above or oozed out as liquid. It also looks to be original breaker. So, I will probably order a new one. Has anyone else ever had to replace one of these due to early tripping? It actually seems to be getting worse as I test it, unless that is because of the R-3 adjustment I tried.

The other problem is R-3 adjustment, which I tried to do as I read on this forum that it is part of AC breaker feedback circuit. Followed the instructions in TM except I ran it on 120/240V instead of 120V as I have not got a 120V load to test with. Maybe that's the problem, but when I turn the R-3 while generator is running and loaded, there is no change in amperage throughout the range of the adjustment. It is running around 1.3 amps under as much load as the breaker will take, which is not quite 100%. TM says it should be around 0.6 amps.

With no power on, the R-3 measures .02-10.4 ohms as screw is turned though its full range. Can it still be bad and not work under power?

Could a worn out breaker effect R-3 adjustment?

Thanks.

dependable

Tested the R-3 and adjustment on my good 002. The test works the way I had it wired. I noticed on the 003, the wiper and max resistance terminal were fused, on the 002 the output was on wiper (variable resistance) terminal only. So I unsoldered in bridge wire on the 003's R-3 and am getting almost no reading it at all (before it was too high) I guess I will try another variable resistor in 003. But it tests good with DMM, so I am confused.

Anyone know a good place to buy these locking variable resistors? And what to ask for? (where I don't have to buy 100 at a time) Would like to sort out R-3 before I buy another breaker.

If I am reading parts TMs correctly the main breaker is the same for the 002 and 003. It is different for 400hz unit.

dependable

Been having fun and learning a lot. Swapped R-3s between old smokey 002 and the 003, they both work in the 002. It will chug along at 100% load with good R-3 reading. I did have to adjust it, as the lock nut was not tightened down. Static resistance in properly adjusted R-3 seems to be around .6-.9 OHMS. I guess they want to measure amps under load due to the variables with the current transformer.

The TM says they are 5W 10 OHM resistors. Have not been able to source, good thing they don't seem to be the problem (though I still need to buy one cause I broke one of the tangs.) The resistance is correct on CT1, which feeds to R-3. Have not yet figured where the wire that feeds that wire comes from, possibly terminal 15 off S6.(The main reconnection switch). Am beginning to suspect the same technition who mounted the new reconnection switch upside down may have missed something else. I may still need main breaker, (and an R-3) if anyone has one for sale from unit that was not too played out, please PM me. Any helpful advice appreciated.

Am going to put turn up pipes on the 003 before I work on it running again. With the ASK, the exhaust blows into the louvers and smokes anyone around it.

Attachments

dependable

Thanks, the spec is the same, but it is panel mount ,screwdiver controlled potentiometer with lock nut. I did check digikey and jamesco. All of your 002s and 003s have one. Let me know if you are parting any out.

Munchies

1271209_10151860856796063_247071570_o.jpg
Having a resizing problem. Resistor shows in stock a few places. Hmmm its the forum software. Same image uploaded elsewhere is fine.
5905-01-046-6851

5905-01-046-6851303-185137RESISTOR,VARIABLE,NON WIRE WOUNDNE5 KAMPI COMPONENTS CO. INC.
5905-01-046-68513055472-5194RESISTOR VAR.NS4 USS CO INC DIV USSCO INC.
5905-01-046-6851010466851.5905RESISTORNE1 SECO PARTS & EQUIPMENT COMPANY
303-185137RESISTOR, VARIABLENS3 CONCORD COMPONENTS, INC.
72-5194RESISTOR, VARIABLENS3 CONCORD COMPONENTS, INC.
5905-01-046-6851RESISTOR, VARIABLENS3 CONCORD COMPONENTS, INC.

KAMPI COMPONENTS CO. INC.
(Duns: 122679228)

88 CANAL RD
FAIRLESS HILLS, PA, 19030-4302
UNITED STATES
Phone:2675434002 Fax:2155315558
http://www.kampi.com
AMY POTTS
amy@kampi.com
DON CHANDLER
don@kampi.com

Attachments

Last edited:

dependable

Well, I tried another breaker out of the old 002. Same bad R-3 reading. Same loading problems. The more I look at the workmanship on the reconnection switch installation, the more I suspect that is the problem. There are a couple 16g wires involved in R-3 circuit that go though S-6.

Looks like the load box is coming off the generator and on to the bench. I re did a reconnection switch form a MEP-018 making the reconnection box for my M1031, so I have some idea what I am getting into. It might not happen until winter.

The generator head does have paint coming off in a couple of places, like it got too hot at some point. But it is making 240V and set will run fine for a while with 70% load. Is it possible for windings to be partly burnt and still make good voltage?

Who knows what kind of mistake happened for it to require a new reconnection switch in the first place. This project has taken a lot of my time, but I learned a lot. Would hate to sort out switch box only to find I need a new gen head.

Anyone have a reconnection box they want to sell, please PM me. I see they have them at green mountain, but at that price I'll buy another generator.

I think the 002 and 003 reconnection boxs are the same except there are 8 wraps around current transformer on 002 and 4 wraps with the 003. If I am wrong on this, let me know.

Last edited:

dependable

I bought a complete reconnection box from someone parting out an 002. It looks unmolested and has good static R-3 resistance. I figured I would have to take four wraps off the current transformer so it have the four wraps instead of eight. But it only has four wraps like my 003. Both of my 002s have eight wraps. I wonder how often these parts got incorrectly interchanged? Anyone who has their 002 or 003 out and wants to check number of wire loops around CT1-CTV, I'd be interested to hear what they are. Can it not matter that much?

Next time I get some time I'll try this new box and let you know how it worked out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks