• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 utility outlet has no power....

kphall

My starter clicks, you can here the start switch relay and the starter solenoid click but the starter does not turn, i did jump the the back of the starter terminals and it does turn, I'm not sure if the batteries are to low to start the starter. I'm recharging the batteries, would it be a starter problem if i can jump the terminals on the starter or would it be a solenoid on the starter or a relay in the main panel or does this happen if the batteries are not optimal. Sorry for all the questions, just bought this machine two days ago, had it running, was very could last night and today, just trying to logically trouble shoot the problem, very much green to the military gen sets. Kevin

Starter is a Prestolite MHP-7101 T, where on ebay did you see the starters?

panic_button

Thanks for the Ebay #, so what do you think, does it sound like the solenoid?

I'll defer this to member with more knowledge...

My starter would keep turning over and not disengauge, I pulled the breaker & it still cranked... Had to pull the cable off the battery to stop it.

I got one of the starters listed. I can say it has a lot more cranking power and it starts faster.

kphall

I found the technical check to perform on the solenoid and starter, can you change Type 1 starters with a Type 2 starters in all mep-003a's? I'm assuming you did this and it fit right in and worked fine? Kevin

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you jumped it at the terminals and it turned over, the starter motor is working. Weak batteries will prevent it from turning over. The engine has more compression than a gas engine. Also, I think the type 1 starter is a direct drive starter, so it's going to require more amperage than a gear reduction like the type 2.

I could be wrong about the type 1 and 2 starters, I've never looked into them that closely.

kphall

MEP fuel pumps stopped functioning

Need help trouble shooting.
Starter lockout looks to be the problem.
Fuel pumps today just stop working, primary and seconday, any resets or tips to see where the malfunction is.
The MEP-003a that i have will run nice when first started about 1 minute, once throttled up it will run ok then start sputtering/ blue smoke then sometimes recovering once recovered it will then just shut down.
Any ideas on what the problem is, lock outs? major malfunction? any help would be great. Thanks

kphall

Hi Carl, I just picked up a MEP-003a
Starter lockout looks to be the problem, with starter not working
Fuel pumps today just stop working, primary and seconday, any resets or tips to see where the malfunction is.
The MEP-003a that i have will run nice when first started about 1 minute, once throttled up it will run ok then start sputtering/ blue smoke then sometimes recovering once recovered it will then just shut down.
Any ideas on what the problem is, lock outs? major malfunction? any help would be great. Thanks

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Carl, I just picked up a MEP-003a
Starter lockout looks to be the problem, with starter not working

Fuel pumps could be numerous things...need more info on whats going on and when the pumps shut down. What is the maching doing when they shut off (running, not running, trying to start), what are you doing to it, if anything at the time? Do they come back on the next time you move the master switch to the prime/run position?

Smoking and shutting down could be many many things too. Blue smoke is not good...blue smoke usually means oil. The shutting down could be due to a plugged/gummed up IP or timing issue.

We need a lot more detailed information about the start of things to really be of any good help.

Isaac-1

One thing I would check is make sure there is no blockage in the fuel return line, build up of return pressure can cause such symptoms on some types of injection pumps.

Ike

Going over my newly acquired 003 this AM and found the wires on the generate side of that control box cut at the J12 terminal. Looking at the tech manual (TM5-6115-585-24P) it appears to be item 19 in figure 14 on page 52, CONNECTOR,RECEPTACLE,ELECTRICAL EA 1 1 MS3100R10SL3S (96906). Search here for answers has resulted in your post above. Why would they cut these wires and disable the receptacle?

Isaac-1

I have long ago given up asking why people would do stuff to these generators, why would someone install a DC hour meter in place of an AC hour meter, why would someone install a T2 transformer backwards, why would someone leave an empty zip lock bag inside the control box, why would someone rewire the panel outlet and bypass the protective fuse (doing a very neat soldering job in the process)...

Ike

Ok. I don't see any identifying marks on the wires that were cut. I know I'd have a 50% chance of soldering them back in the right spot, but how do i determine which wire goes to which pin? Does it even matter?

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it really is J12 that you are talking about, those are the field excitation wires. Since you are exciting the field with a DC voltage it should not matter which wire goes where. But if you can find some markings on them closer to the generator head the wire P67B16 goes on pin "a" and P60G16 goes on pin "b".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks