• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003 Voltage fluctuation

SmokeyJoeJ

Boy if it's not one thing it is another! Got the Unit running and thought all was well after loading her up and she purred like a kitten. OK maybe a Lion! Anyway I went out last night and started her up and noticed the voltage was bouncing from 180 to 260V. I read the manual and it says to adjust R15 on the Voltage regulator board. I tried this with no response. Has anyone experienced this with their unit? If so was it a bad regulator or do I need to look elswhere?? Any help would be appreciated. I just hate to buy a new regulator and find out that is not the problem.

SmokeyJoeJ

Carl,
I tried it with and without a load with no difference. I need to check the voltage coming into the board but will say it was working fine and even when I first tried it tonight it was steady and then started jumping around. If I put her down on idle and the Freq. is at or below 55HZ then the voltage stabilizes?? As soon as I start to raise the RPM's she starts jumping around. Joe

Carl_in_NH

I concur - that sounds like a bad or dirty adjustable resistor - or other dirty or flakey connection(s) somewhere in the system. Make certain every electrical connection is clean and tight; vibration is very different at different engine RPMs - so seeing the problem come and go at different throttle settings is likely a good indicator of one of the above issues.

Unplug connectors and clean them at the regulator board. Don't know on that generator if the adjustable resistor is in a sealed unit (it is on my MEP-017A). If not sealed, you can clean it with 'tuner cleaner' from Radio Shack - if it is sealed, try working the control back and forth over its full range several dozen times (without the generator running) - that may clear it up for you.

-Carl

SmokeyJoeJ

I took your guys advice and cleaned all ground points and pulled all connectors apart and cleaned the terminals. That seemed to work and I am including a video of her running with load. I think I will load her up this weekend for a few hours to confirm no more problems. Thanks all for the feedback. Joe

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

Glad to hear it's back running - and generating. My next generator will be an MEP-003 - or the same thing in the soundproof housing.

The only surplus generator I've seen turn up locally is the MEP-017A I bought - but I'll keep my eye out for a 003 that I can afford to ship. When you live in an area with ice storms, you just can't have too many generators.

-Carl

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SmokeyJoe, I'm happy to her you got her running better now. Great video, I couldn't hear what you were saying very good, but the set looks to run great. Sounds good. You did a great job on that ratty old engine you got from me...LOL :razz::razz:

Carl_in_NH, if you can find an 003a cheap enough you will absolutely love it! As long as you don't have to go through the mess that smokey did. They will definitely do a good job when they are running good.

Last edited: