• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003, What have you done to prepare for this new winter season

Kahles56

Well folks it is that time of the year to do some seasonal / yearly maintenance.
How long has it been since you have really done preventive maintenance on your MEP-003.?

I decided to do mine before it got cold, and the weather turned for the worse. So, three weeks ago I decided to do everything I needed to get my
unit up and running again after taking it offline for 14 months.

So, I did some modifications, repairs and maintenance.

Modifications:
1. Added an Ask Kit to the unit, my area that I live in is very noise adverse.
2. Added Oil and Fuel adaptors to allow spin on filters

Repairs:
1. Did some dent removals to allow better cooling.
2. Repaired (S6) switch which was locked up in 240 single phase with no or interment voltage on one leg.
This was accomplished by unbolting switch, rotating it out of cabinet, removing cover on operator end,
loosening bolts to rods and spraying switch with Corrosion X, letting it sit overnight, rapping it with a rubber hammer and spraying it again, reassembled and reinstalled.

Maintenance:
1. Removed every bolt and or nut that I could get to and removed, applied anti seize compound to it and reinstalled.
2. Sprayed all electrical connections again, turned every electrical connection that had a screw, or a bolt associated with it,
resprayed all electrical connections with Corrosion X again.
3. Installed new fuel filters,
4. Installed new oil filter
5, Changed oil, 5.5 qts, this was just a reminder to those that have a 003.
6. Removed filters on fuel pumps and cleaned filters and reinstalled.
7. Removed fuel tank and replaced it with a new one due to some holes in old one.
8. Filtered 3-4 gal of fuel from old tank and added it to new tank,
9. Filled remainder of fuel tank with new fuel.
10. Added biocide, fuel stabilizer, fuel lubricant to fuel tank.
11. Ran unit to check for leaks.
12. Replaced all rubber fuel lines due to leaking, weeping or due to hardness, original fuel lines only have a 10-year shelf life per manufacturer.
My Lines were built in 1986.
13. Made a 6 ft fuel line to hook to aux fuel pump from storage tanks.
14. Ran unit and checked for leaks again.
15. took Gen Set to car wash and washed oil residue from unit.
16. Ran Gen set for 1 hour after warming up and dry out under load.
17. Checked HZ and voltage under load and adjusted HZ and voltage to let gages read same as Fluke Handheld meter.

Now I know everyone out there will think I am crazy, however during warming up genset and letting it dry out it ran for all practical purposes the same in terms of noise except a few dB's lower in volume due to Ask kit, then about 20 min into warm up the unit seemed to smooth out in volume and in vibration. Would /could the fuel additives have played a factor in this?

So, the Bottom line is, my MEP003 is up and operational and ready for the winter season ,
it took ~ 3 hours a day for 3 weeks to get this done.
Now all I have to do is is patch the old fuel tank and have it cleaned for fuel storage.

Ray70

Sounds like a super thorough winter prep. I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel additive helped smooth things out a little.
Lately I have seen lots of issues with fuel pumps , IP's and injectors on the 002/003 series beginning to have problems with gum and sticking after just a few months sitting.
This low sulfur fuel is complete garbage in my opinion, and additives can only help so much.....
The only thing I will comment on with regards to you prep is that without knowing how old you "old" fuel was, I would not have put it back into the new tank no matter what, but without knowing your situation I don't know if you have other uses for old diesel.
I recently drained everything I had, threw the old fuel into my home heating oil tank and replaced all the old garbage fuel with new garbage L.SD. , only because the existing fuel was purchased over a year ago. Despite being treated when new, I still don't trust fuel that is over a year old in an 002 or 003 because of the issues I've seen lately. I don't think my boiler will care less how old it is!

On sealing your old tank... go with the Caswell Plating epoxy.... nothing more to say!

Scoobyshep

Check your motor mounts, Mine were sagging. i ended up adding a rubber grommet to them because the metal ring would delaminate from the rubber cones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks