• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep-003 won't continue to produce power

Angelo190471

I purchased a 003 couple days ago. He had it rigged up to some commercial heaters and acs to load test it, and it seemed to be making power fine. I go to try it here and it would produce power for 10 seconds then the volt and hertz gauge will drop down just about all the way. Every time I try and restart it, it will do the same thing. The generator part just won't stay running.
He bought and maintained this with no intention of selling, but unexpected move forced him to sell. He did a handful of upgrades, like the spin on filters and I believe it was the voltage regulator.
What should I check?
Screenshot_20220517-074051.pngScreenshot_20220517-074032.png

Scoobyshep

yea this looks modified. if I had to guess either the regulator is damaged or insufficiently sized and is not able to maintain the field.

Angelo190471

it will make 260 volts on its gauge, aslong as i hold the start switch. pretty much as soon as i release it, it drops down almost to nothing. wouldnt that be more so a problem with flashing the generator then it would be with the vr?

Scoobyshep

it will make 260 volts on its gauge, aslong as i hold the start switch. pretty much as soon as i release it, it drops down almost to nothing. wouldnt that be more so a problem with flashing the generator then it would be with the vr?

No when its in start the regulator is being bypassed for the flash. The avr takes over when not in start

Chainbreaker

I have one Triple Jim's Lakeland AVR boards installed in one of my gensets. It is excellent and an "upgrade" (better components, heatsinking, etc.) over the OEM board. You should PM Triple Jim member here and ask him to respond to this thread as how to test his board to verify functionality.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks