• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-003a AC voltmeter Frequency meter Digital replacement?

Rocketman007

My AC voltmeter 72-5008 on my MEP-003a has gone south and was looking for a replacement, however most online vendors want $$ for an exact replacement.
I saw a Video on YouTube done by Dan Walton which shows that he replaced meters with a GV25 digital meter, but no where do I see how to wire one up?
It appears that the original AC voltmeter was not monitoring the full AC output as I was not able to read the full AC output with my digital meter on the back of the bad voltmeter.
Any help to wire up a modification to replace the AC voltmeter and frequency meter would be appreciated.
Thanks
JK Parker

Scoobyshep

It should be line voltage. the Voltmeter (M5) is powered from generator output through switch S8 See TM 5-6115-585-12 page 53 for the diagram. if you dont have the TMs look up on the website header click the TM button and look for the post on mep003.

Heres a very distinct possibility, you have the reconnection switch (S6) set for single phase and the meter select switch (S8 is in a 3 phase position (this happens to the best of us)

make sure the switches are set right (S8 has 1 and 3 phase marks on the label ring) run the set, make sure the main breaker is closed and verify lug voltage, then check voltage at the meter (M5)

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
My AC voltmeter 72-5008 on my MEP-003a has gone south and was looking for a replacement, however most online vendors want $$ for an exact replacement.
I saw a Video on YouTube done by Dan Walton which shows that he replaced meters with a GV25 digital meter, but no where do I see how to wire one up?
It appears that the original AC voltmeter was not monitoring the full AC output as I was not able to read the full AC output with my digital meter on the back of the bad voltmeter.
Any help to wire up a modification to replace the AC voltmeter and frequency meter would be appreciated.

What do you mean by "Full AC output"? All three phases?

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking those gensets aren't quite stable enough, frequency-wise, to use a digital meter for that function without making one crazy trying to read it.

It would flicker all over the place and drive me crazy.

There is something to be said for analog instruments and humans.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking those gensets aren't quite stable enough, frequency-wise, to use a digital meter for that function without making one crazy trying to read it.

I suppose that would depend on the quality of the digital meter, it's sampling rate and so forth. Sounds like $$$ to me.

Ray70

Actually I've used several CHEAP digital meters in the past and they were fine. I used the cheap "Domestic" rectangular digital meters with the red display ( $15 ) ( Sold domestically, but probably built in China ) as well as the rectangular ones with the blue display ( $10 ) both functioned great and were perfectly stable on both VAC and Hz, only issue was the need to make an interface plate to go from round to rectangular.
Also used the super cheap Chinese round analog gages that will fit right in place ( Hz does not need any transducer ) but they are plastic and look very cheesy and most likely won't last.

Evvy Fesler

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually I've used several CHEAP digital meters in the past and they were fine. I used the cheap "Domestic" rectangular digital meters with the red display ( $15 ) ( Sold domestically, but probably built in China ) as well as the rectangular ones with the blue display ( $10 ) both functioned great and were perfectly stable on both VAC and Hz, only issue was the need to make an interface plate to go from round to rectangular.
Also used the super cheap Chinese round analog gages that will fit right in place ( Hz does not need any transducer ) but they are plastic and look very cheesy and most likely won't last.
Piqued my curiosity! Something like this? It can handle the input voltage range assuming it’s greater than 85v, but I didn’t see hole dimension. I was too lazy download the PDF.

Click here!

Scoobyshep

I had to replace the frequency meter on my 003 and because I think they are cool looking and I was unsupervised it got a reed style meter

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks